getting into Wifi networks using the mobile terminal

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by bobbieee, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bobbieee macrumors newbie

so my schools wifi access does not require a WEP passoword, but when you join and go to anything that requires internet it brings up a login portal. my friend did some commands in his mobile terminal on this jailbroken ipod and my ipod has been jailbroken for a while and i would like to know how to get into the schools wifi network, and this is legal because he learned it from a computer class. he logged in first and put some commands in like : en0 ifconfig (followed by a MAC address of one of the highschool laptops[every classroom has laptops]) then pressed enter and it worked on his but mine was unable to connect.

P.S. my ipod is a 3rd gen running 3.1.3 software jailbreak using spirit

2. joshh2o macrumors member

Does the login screen require a username and a password?

3. bobbieee thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but nothing shows up when the window pops up which is why i need to learn how to do it this way

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Sounds to me like they have the networked locked down to only allow certain MAC addresses, and to require a password if you aren't "on the list".

What your friend did was to cause his ipod to have the same MAC address as one of the computers "on the list", so it let him in.

Not a good idea - especially when the other laptop comes on the network, and you have two devices with the same MAC address.

I assume the network is restricted from student use, or you would already have a username and password?

5. bdavis89 macrumors regular

I'm also guessing this is high-school, which means the wireless internet is just for teachers. Its on lockdown sucka

6. 315IT macrumors newbie

Not true, it's impossible to change the MAC address of a device. Unless you're taking about spoofing the address, in which case yes that is possible.

Also, as long as an address has been taken by another device, whether it's currently being used or not, it won't allow two devices with the same address to access anything outside the local network.

Bobbieeee, I'd suggest not attempting to mess around with your school's network unless you know exactly what you're doing. If there is monitoring software (Which there most likely will be considering school networks are heavily restricted and monitored), and they trace the attempted 'network break-ins' back to your device, you could be in a load of ****. What your friend did is not legal, it's actually highly illegal

Nothing too severe as long as you never manage to break into the network, but it will look odd to them that you're trying to gain access to a network you know you're not supposed to be on, not to mention from a hacked device via a terminal client. As stupid as it sounds, unauthorized access to networking systems is a serious crime, and if you happened to 'stumble upon' some sensitive information whilst doing so, you could be facing serious jail time, buddy.

So, please, if you don't know what you're doing don't attempt to break into a network that has as much security and monitoring as a school, even if it is just for WiFi access. I almost got into some serious **** a few months back merely for deleting the route from my school's local network to the Regional Information Center. Luckily they just let me off for 'experimental and educational purposes' because I take an IT Systems course.

7. bobbieee thread starter macrumors newbie

no no no you guys dont get it us students are allowed to use the schools wireless network, anyone can use one of the laptops in any classroom to access it but when i try and login using my school login info on my ipod nothing even shows up for me and my friend has been doing this all his senior year and never got in any trouble

8. mrhappyface2010 macrumors newbie

mrhappyface2010

Don't hack the school network cos it will backfire, and if you set the ipod as a different mac address then i could seriously stuff up the whole school server, then you be in major trouble! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: