Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
After reading about the light-leakage articles - I decided to examine my brand-new iPad 2 for symptoms. Sure enough - it had them.

I immediately went to the Apple Store and had a Genius set me up with a Genius Bar Work Authorization for a "new" unit. I've heard so many of these stories of whether these "replacement parts" are refurbished, re-manufactured, or completely new...

The Genius absolutely assured me its a brand new unit, its just from a different channel (not the white retail-box channel).

I'm looking at the Work Authorization and it stated a repair estimate of $269.00 for the iPad 2 White 16GB Wi-Fi (Item Number 661-5879).

In the meantime - I am keeping my original unit and seeing if this replacement is better or worse...

You guys have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Cpt.Oliver

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
I think 269$ is the ipad2 store cost price. Also make sure the the frame is perfectly close around the bezel , especially near home button and head phone jack specially since its the white. Its gonna get on your nerve if its loose on the long run. Make sure to look carefully, better be perfect for you since you can exchange it :D you dont want to come back for another exchange dont you ? ;)

Cpt.Oliver

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
I did some research and according to some website the build cost of an ipad2 16GB Wi-Fi, minus the box and accessories, is 259.60$. So its safe to say they didnt lie to you and they are offering you a new one from that brown box. So anything over 250$ in your repair estimate email its definitly new and not refurbish.

Last edited:

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I think 269$ is the ipad2 store cost price. Also make sure the the frame is perfectly close around the bezel , especially near home button and head phone jack specially since its the white. Its gonna get on your nerve if its loose on the long run. Make sure to look carefully, better be perfect for you since you can exchange it :D you dont want to come back for another exchange dont you ? ;)

Definitely, I'm probably be at the Apple Store for a least an hour just to test this replacement unit thoroughly before handing them my original precious unit (which I rub with a diaper most of the time). As for the light-leakage, the Genius said he could test it in the make-shift dark-room they have in the back of the store.

I will definitely test the bezel-issue (first time I heard of it) - is it just loose around the glass frame and creaky when you push against it?

Also recommendations on how to test for dead-pixels given these units don't have any apps installed whatsoever?

Also to clarify - the Repair Item Number for this replacement unit is Item Number 661-5879, don't know if you guys can find anything about this...

Cpt.Oliver

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Definitely, I'm probably be at the Apple Store for a least an hour just to test this replacement unit thoroughly before handing them my original precious unit (which I rub with a diaper most of the time). As for the light-leakage, the Genius said he could test it in the make-shift dark-room they have in the back of the store.

I will definitely test the bezel-issue (first time I heard of it) - is it just loose around the glass frame and creaky when you push against it?

Also recommendations on how to test for dead-pixels given these units don't have any apps installed whatsoever?

Also to clarify - the Repair Item Number for this replacement unit is Item Number 661-5879, don't know if you guys can find anything about this...

Not creaky at all. Im talking about comsmetic issues. Like some space between the glass and the aluminium edge. Those space look to be more visible with the white.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
How do you get to keep your "precious" original iPad (which is one of millions of identical slabs of metal and glass...hardly precious) while checking the replacement for defects?

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
How do you get to keep your "precious" original iPad (which is one of millions of identical slabs of metal and glass...hardly precious) while checking the replacement for defects?

Well I assume - the Geniuses will show me the new replacement unit and then allow me to test it before I give them my unit.

If not - then I won't give them my original unit at all - which means this exchange never happened...

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I have a little bleed but mine has been freezing were I have to restart it twice daily.
I am also set but for a exchange Thursday.

Himynamesnoah

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011

An easy way to test for bezel and glass separation is to run your fingernail, or finger along the edge where the aluminum meets the glass and you will feel a slight bugle or bump.
You can also eye it by holding the iPad flat on the back and see the raised glass. Mine has it below the home button and by the headphone jack.

metec

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008

I took mine in yesterday and got it replaced. They told me the replacement iPad is new and checked it for me in the back to make sure it didn't have any light leakage. I got that same work order with the 269$ price. The item # for mine is 661-5876 but mine is black 16GB wifi.

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I've never done an exchange before, but I was wondering if its good practice to do a Restore on your original unit before handing over back to Apple? Restore should clear out everything right?

Also they said they will notify me when my replacement unit arrives, but in the meantime - metec and AppleGoddess, please let me know what you think of these replacement units once you get them, including if you can figure out if they are really "new" or not - I am interested to see how the Serial Number starts out as: currently all Retail-version (aka white-box) iPad 2's start with the DLXF prefix serial numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.