Getting iPad 3, defects to worry about?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphonenub, Aug 5, 2012.

1. iphonenub macrumors regular

I'm about to get an iPad 3 soon, are there any major defects plaguing the iPad 3 to look out for or do I have nothing to worry about?

2. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

none

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Using it so much you eventually lose all of your friends and family because you are so addicted to the pixels and the joy of having the internet in your hands. That is the only defect, well its more of a Side effect, but you should look out for it anyway.

Enjoy your toy and don't examine it to much. Nothing is perfect, but you can enjoy it anyway.

I wish I could live this way, but I have OCD sometimes... do not be like me.

4. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Whoa it is a Pandora Box !! Dont open it ?? Your question itself is plagued with a lot of worries...Yes there are stories of mysteries and disaapointment with the New iPad aswell... If you have the Gutz dare to explore all that information. But remember as I said it is a pandora's Box once you get in to it not necessarily the results will please you. As the saying goes " Ignorance is Bliss" If you dont know what the problem is you are the happiest person on this earth.

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Here's a list of the most common "defects"

1. Bad screen - yellowing, pink, green tinge, including more yellowing to the left of the screen in portrait mode.

2. Light leaks around the edge of the screen.

3. Scratches or machining marks on the rear of the device.

4. Inconsistent white plastic trim - especially just in front of the headphone jack. This is the most common place for it to be raised slightly away from the bezel, leaving a space for dirt and lint to gather.

5. Loose or badly set home button.

6. Dead pixels.

7. Loose power/lock screen button.

Good luck, hope you find one that is suitable for you....

6. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Most likely at this stage you would be getting a fully functional, almost pristine perfect product. Product defects tend to be more likely when it first launches. As sales volume go down, so does manufacturing volume. When this happens, there would be lesser chance of product defects as there no need to rush.
    Also, any hardware defects would have been recognized by Apple and rectified in the new units available for sale, so no worries actually.

If there is a defect, you can always exchange it at an Apple store - its easy. Remember an exchanged product isn't as bad as you think it is- in fact some say its better, as products returned is inspected by hand and any flaws would have been rectified. The battery is also changed.
    There is a high chance you might get a pristine refurbished iPad. They would never give you an iPad back that is so dinged up- perhaps maybe a small micro scrapes here and there, but hey, doesn't that happen to almost every device u own and use over time? In the end, you supposed brand new iPad will turn out to be old and used with some flaws.

7. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

It does not run android!!:eek::eek:

8. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Ah Well, Well put to instill that confidence in the OP but the Apple Community Forum is still reporting isolated incidents of Pink Hue in the screen of their iPad :rolleyes: What about that ??

9. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

All of the problems listed don't sound that bad to me. I was just afraid of major problems. I could care less about a dead pixel or my screen being slightly pinker than my iPhone.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I strongly suggest you buy it and not be happy with it and then sell it to me with a huge discount !

Sound good ? ;)

11. VFC macrumors 6502a

Forgot the often reported dust and hair under the screen.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Well thank you Dr. Cooper, it seems it did slip by my list :rolleyes:

----------

What is a major problem? Battery exploding? Won't turn on? I'm puzzled by this...

13. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking for defects that directly hinder use. All defects listed are cosmetic annoyances. I don't know how bad this pink thing is, but everything else is easily overlooked to me.

14. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Like I've said, 'most likely' you would be getting a perfectly fine product. If you are not, you're just plain unlucky but still qualify for a one-to-one exchange anyone. I didn't say you can't possibly get a defective product at all, I said that at this timing, it is not very likely you could get one. :)
    Anyway, its possible those pink hue units are basically unsold units, of course. We can't forget this fact. But still, once in a while, a few junk ipads come out of the factory every other day with pink hues due to some Chinese worker having a bad hair day (No offense, really! They worked hard.) .

What I like about Apple products is that while it is not absolutely flawless, you can always negotiate over this with Apple, which will most likely provide you with an exchange for your defective product. I've even heard some who got completely free exchange for their cracked iPhones. I don't see any Samsung Stores offering free exchanges when u walk in, at least to my knowledge, as Samsung stores virtually does not exist here.

----------

To me, if i were you, I would relax and stop thinking about those possible defects that my potential buy will have, and just walk straight into the Apple Store and buy one. If there is any defects, you can just go back and make a ruckus and exchange for a new one (I have also heard cases where people had cracked iPads when they open the box of their new buy and went back and got another new unit completely free, no hassles)

Defects for iPads isn't a 50/50 chance, it narrows down to a minor few. Maybe one in every 500 sets or so.

Rest assured, the iPad is a tablet manufactured by precise machinery and hands, so generally most of the ipads sold are all free of defects.

15. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Or do what I just did and buy a new iPad 2. After 4 "new iPads", I gave up. The iPad 2 has none of the issues the new iPad has. Performance and speed is the same.

16. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

While there is always a chance of all of the above, the iPad 3 is a solid well made device.

The issues have been that in all previous Apple devices, each new generation of device has been superior in every way to the last. The iPad 3 is the first Apple device to make some sacrifices vs the previous generation.

I've been able to live with the slightly warmer and slightly thicker issues. They are so minor as to be non-issues.

My biggest complaint has been longer charging times and shorter battery life. The arguments for/against this break down into two camps.

Those that don't travel, use the iPad at home, use the iPad indoors in low ambient light, regularly/religiously charge every night....the iPad 3 is fine.

If you travel, use the iPad outside or in bright areas, you might want to consider the iPad 2. Or wait for the next gen iPad. It's quite possible that Apple will use 32nm chips (like they do in the iPad 2) and IGZO screens (like they do in the iPhone) with an updated iPad 3 or next gen iPad 4.

Anyway you look at it, both devices are "best in class". Enjoy whichever you get.

17. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I got what I needed. I'll be picking a new iPad up this week.

18. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

All of this.

The quality control is seriously poor this year. They have quite clearly made far too many in such a short space of time.

I went through 5 replacements before Apple told me I couldnt swap any more, so I gave up with them. ALL of them had yellowing to the left side of the screen. ALL of them had scratches or scrapes to the back casing. And most of them had the plastic from the headphone jack sticking out.

19. VFC, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

I suspect this is the result of some serious pressure from the competition now that Apple has gone from a small market share ( ~ 4% pc/laptop market share before the iPad 1) to a significant share with the introduction of the iPad and iPhone.

They have woken the sleeping giant (Microsoft) and have to fend off serious smart phone/tablet challenges from android devices by Samsung, Asus, etc. All guns are now pointed at Apple.

Apple will be forced to continue to lower cost and rush out new innovative products at an uncomfortable time frame to keep, or grow, their current market share. A drop in quality is the first sign that the pressure is getting to them.

20. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Yep. Look what their Windows phone did to Apple. :rolleyes:

21. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Wow...

I bought my iPad 2 a week ago and it just went on sale for $50 less today. So I went back to the store today (Future Shop) to get the sale price. While I was getting my $50 refund, a guy at the counter beside me was returning an iPad 3 because in his words, "the screen is bad" and "has red and green patches" on it.

Nice to see Apple has not fixed this problem yet.

22. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

How common is this screen problem and how noticeable is it?

23. dchao macrumors 6502a

My iPad 3 is only two weeks old and had non of these defects. (Just want to put my story in, so it is not like every iPad is defective)

24. VFC macrumors 6502a

Where MS has pressured Apple is in the merging of mobile and desktop O/S's and the soon to be release Win 8 Surface tablet/ultra book.

The release of Win 8 for touch tablet and home/business laptop/desktop pcs appears to have accelerated Apple's merger of iOS and OSX (just look at all the new iOS functionality in ML).

I suspect Apple is also feverishly working on their version of a convertible ultrabook/tablet to prevent MS, and other OEMS, from getting too far ahead of them. If Apple delays too long to protect the revenue stream from the iMAC, MacBook Pro, and Air they may drop back to that 4% market share they had a few years ago.

Quality often slips when a company is rushing a product to market.

25. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

And that release date would be when?

I heard there is also a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. ;)