Getting iphone 4 replaced. jailbreak after?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ajo, Nov 27, 2010.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

Im getting my iPhone 4 replaced today as the sleep button isnt working.

Will I be able to jailbreak after with the replacement. I will want to restore everything back on from my iPhone. Will it force me to upgrade to 4.2?

Can I put the previous firmware on?

Thanks

ajo

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

nobody knows for sure until you get it what version since we don't know what IOS you are getting. you will get a refurb I going to say 4.1or less. you can't downgrade firmware unless there are shsh blobs saved. by the previous owner. it's rare but it does happen good luck it's luck of the draw.

3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

I will only get a refurb?

Had one replaced last time, im sure it was new?

Any hints on what I can do. If I get one with 4.1 can I not save the shsh's before I plug it into itunes etc?

Any news on a jailbreak for 4.2?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

99.9% you get a refurb
    if you have 4.1 or less simply don't update.
    google jb info really there is a ton of info here and other places!

5. QuarterSwede, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Don't worry about getting a refurb as they're testing more than new phones to ensure they work correctly. I got a refurb 3G when mine started getting dust and hair under the screen and it was indistinguishable from a new phone. It was gorgeous (and sold well ;)). You'll hear people saying that refurbs are more likely to have issues. I've found that to be bull. New phones can have just as many issues.

If you get one with 4.1 then I'd save the SHSH blobs and then update as 4.2 seems to have finally fixed my proximity sensor issue. That and AirPlay is kick ass.