Getting iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John1989, Jun 8, 2010.

1. John1989 macrumors newbie

On Fall 2010, I will be going to US to further my studies, and I would love go get myself the latest iPhone.

In order to get the 32GB iPhone 4 at $299, I will need to sign a 2-year contract with AT&T right?

What is the minimal monthly fee that I need to pay so that I am qualified to get the phone at $299? :)

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

10 for phone 15 for interwebz then other fees that idk since I have a family plan

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If you're a new AT&T customer then you will be able to purchase the iPhone for the upgrade price regardless of which voice or data plans you choose for it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Lets see...

$40 for the cheapest plan of 450 minutes
    $15 for the DataPlus 200MB (data plan is required, this is the least expensive one.)
    $5 for 200 text messages (least expensive one; you get charged in the US for incoming & outgoing texts; this is not required if you don't text.)

So you are looking at a minimum of $55 with no text plan and before any taxes, fees, etc.

5. John1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that I can purchase the iPhone for the "new or upgrade" price.

But what is the 2 years contract about?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the mobile phone service provider in the US.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Do they not have phone contracts where you currently live?

Basically it an agreement between you and at&t that they will sell you the iPhone at a substantially reduced price ($199/$299) as a new customer. In exchange, you agree to use their service for 2 years. If you leave early, they will charge you an Early Termination Fee of $325 prorated by how many months you end the contract early.

I hope this helps.

7. John1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the country that I live in has this kind of contract, but it is somehow different.

So every month I have to pay $55. And at the end of the contract, I would have paid $1320 right?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't know if the $55 is totally accurate. There are taxes and fees that will add on to it. Also, you might choose a higher text plan, insurance, unlimited night & weekends, etc.

But for arguments sake, lets say the $55 is accurate, then yes, over the 2 year contract you would indeed be paying $1320.

9. John1989 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I use AT&T prepaid on the iPhone? Because I do not think I will be calling or texting a lot.

If I'm using prepaid, then I would have to pay $699 for the iPhone?

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Activation of $36. Realistically, $63 x 24 months.