Getting iPhone for Christmas, what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leo1232, Dec 23, 2008.

1. leo1232 macrumors newbie

I'm getting an iPhone 3G for christmas but I'm afraid apple may release an updated one at Macworld. Doesn't apple have a 30 return policy if they update products? If they do update it what do you think they will do, what capacities and what prices?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Ask for an iPhone gift card and just wait until the 32gb model comes out to use it.

3. leo1232 thread starter macrumors newbie

But my family is all gonna switch to AA&T and some will leave for college when macworld. Should I just forget about it since the 32GB is probably gonna be 100 bucks over the 16GB anyway?

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

5. leo1232 thread starter macrumors newbie

so if they lower the price or change the capacity or more I could replace it. I did they with in late 07 MB when in march when they released new ones.

6. leo1232 thread starter macrumors newbie

would it madder if I took it to apple within the 30 days if there is a new one even if i got it at an AT&T store or would AT&T honor the 30 day thing too?

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You'll get charged a restocking fee and will have to go through hassle with Apple to get it exchanged. I hate hassle but that's just me. :)

You don't have to do this all at once I don't think. Everyone else in your family can get their phones now and when you are ready to get yours all your family has to do is add a line to get one.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

or if you are on their family plan now, and need to move over with them... then go buy a $14 go phone or something and use that as your phone in the meantime.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Where did you hear 30 days from?

It's 14, with a 10% restocking fee.

10. leo1232 thread starter macrumors newbie

I may just ask to wait. I can live without a phone for two weeks. By then I will have used my touch for over a year so I will feel better about getting a new iPhone.

11. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Get the 16gb one now, and don't worry about future updates. No matter which iphone you get, they're going to look the same, do the same things, and within 6 months to a year you are guaranteed to have something bigger and better available.

12. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

The 30-day limit is AT&T's rules. Paraphrased from http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Return within 3 days: pay 10% restock fee (must return the phone), ATT refunds activation fee, no ETF charge for canceling the contract

Return after 3 days but within 30 Days: pay 10% restock fee (must return the phone), ATT keeps activation fee, no ETF charge for canceling the contract.

After 30 Days - no returns for iphone.

Also note that the Apple 14-day policy has an exception for the iphone and restocking fees (from the bottom of http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html)