Getting iPhone + going abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thadoggfather, May 29, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'm going to Vienna in the fall and currently have the 3gs that I renewed using a different line's contract (last time I renewed mine was the 3G model, now I'm out of contract or very close to being out of contract). I'll probably want the iPhone 4G but my question is if I get it and renew the contract, can I suspend my account while going abroad?

I'll probably want to use a prepaid phone while out there so I don't incur hundreds and hundreds of dollars in fees. Thanks!

2. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

This is a question that can only be answered by your mobile phone provider. Why not give them a call (or e-mail) and ask?

If you are in the U.S. and are using AT&T Mobility, see http://www.wireless.att.com/support/content.do?page=support-home.

3. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

From what i've read, if you are out of contract you may place your plan on hold for a period of time and pay a nominal fee for ATT to maintain your phone number. If you are in contract, I'm afraid you are stuck with at least a $40 calling plan. I would suggest popping your iphone sim into a cheapo phone, calling ATT and saying you broke your 4G and then just pay the $40 or whatever a month for the fewest amount of minutes. Then when you get back to the states, pop the sim back into your 4G and call ATT and have them load your plan back up with data/text/etc.