Getting iPhone International-Ready

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bc008, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I'm taking a trip to France in a little under two weeks, and would like some advice as to how to get my phone ready for the trip, in all aspects.

What should I do for the actual phone part of the iPhone? I don't need phone services, just a handy iPod/camera with wifi. I was thinking I could just take out my SIM card, or always have the phone in Airplane Mode?

For power, I'm going to need some type of converter. Anybody try this one? http://us.kensington.com/html/13926.html, or should I stick with apple's version, or an even cheaper ebay USB european charger? Thanks! :)

2. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

And what about using it as a phone? Can I jailbrake and then use it as a phone too?

3. fedup flyer macrumors regular

No need to take out the sim card. Just keep it in airplane mode if you really don't want to receive calls. Wifi can still be turned on with airplane mode on.

No need to buy an expensive power adapter. Go down to your local Radio Shack and buy the European plug adapter.
    Something like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932600

I picked mine up for about 3 bucks.

If you think you might use your phone in actually phone voice mode, be aware you have to have international roaming turned on by AT&T BEFORE you leave the US. I would also suggest the World Traveler package as it lowers the cost of the call. I believe France and most of Europe is in the .99 cent/min neighborhood.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to jailbreak and unlock your phone. The jailbreak opens up your phone to non-Apple programs. Unlocking allows you to use a non-AT&T SIM.
    You should read the jailbreak/unlock FAQ for more detailed information.