Getting iPhone replaced without computer, how to salvage the music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AdventurousJosh, Oct 17, 2011.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Okay so my speaker in my iPhone 4 is broken, I can't hear people anymore. It's still under warranty and I can get it replaced, however, I dont have the macbook I used to sync with it. I DO have two power PC macs in my home though, G4 models. My brother and his wife use it to sync their phones.

Does anybody know a way I can get my music off my iPhone for when I swap it? At this point in time, its my only mp3 player and id rather have a gimp phone than no music, I can still use my headphones mic.

Thank you so so much.

2. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention I have my entire system backed up on an external, I'll reboot all my data when i buy a pro later. for now, however my speaker is busted and I need my music off my phone. any advice is so appreciated. :)

3. haoledoc macrumors member

Since you have the computer that had your iTunes library backed up, I would try to get the library file and the music files from that backup and move them to one of your other computers. This will be a lot easier if all of your music, etc. was managed by iTunes in a consolidated library on your old computer, but it could be done even if this isn't the case. Then you can load your existing library (I believe you hold the option key (Mac) or shift key (PC) while opening iTunes to select an alternate library). If you're using a different username on the the new computer, you may need to edit the library file in a text editor so that iTunes can find the actual music files. You may need to authorize your iTunes account on the new computer as well. Once you've done all this and it looks like your library is functioning (i.e. music files have the correct metadata and play correctly without errors) you can backup your existing phone. Then you just sync the new one to this library. I've gone through a similar process when I've moved from one computer to another in the past with success. I even did it when I first moved from a PC to a mac, though that required some extensive editing in the iTunes library xml file to get it to work. The big advantage to this is it backs up everything: music, playcounts and other metadata, pictures, apps, settings, SMS, everything. Setting up your new phone will be easy and everything from your existing phone will be intact if you use this method.

Alternatively, there are several programs out there that will allow you to pull data from your phone. I don't know the details of these programs. I know they would allow you to recover your music, but I don't know if they would let you make a full backup to load onto another phone like the process above would get you. I don't think these programs tend to be free either.

4. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

5. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont own the old computer with my library. What i do own is an updated backup of time machine on my external HD. i do have two power PC's in home home, however. this is my delima.

6. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Is it backed up to a harddrive?

You can always Get the music files out of your iTunes library.

7. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

try using detune. its free and will let u take all your music off, and put it in a folder on your comp. It worked great for me

----------

My bad man i forgot to give you a link.

http://www.headlightsoft.com/detune/

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Since it looks like you have a good answer to your question... The "earpiece" speaker, the bottom speaker, and your headphones are all not working? For both music and phone? (I am confused by your last comment about "headphones mic")

Sorry, this seems like a ridiculous question but the volume levels are different for each "output". Could it be a simple matter that the volume is turned down? Don't laugh. When I first got my phone I thought an app was broken because I couldn't hear it. I must not have been the only one because they eventually put a notice in the app store and on the app to turn up the volume. :eek:

9. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everybody for the advice.
    What is broken is the ear piece, anyone who calls me is extremely muffled and yeah I definitely tried turning up the volume. What I meant is I can avoid this by using headphones to talk, so I can hear my callers.

10. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

11. ijohnbro macrumors regular

I have an Android. If I was in your situation I would just pop out my SD card where all my music is stored and put it in the replacement phone and BAM...Oh wait iPhone you cannot remove the memory? I dunno buy an Android next time bud the best thing I can tell ya.