getting iphone setup for wife as a gift

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by archer75, Jun 6, 2011.

1. archer75 macrumors 65816

I'm going to buy an iphone for my wife as a present. Walmart has them on sale, i've spoken to people at the store and in person and am getting conflicting info which is why I ask here.

My wife already has a phone through AT&T, out of contract and only under her name. Is it possible to buy an iphone and get it setup with her existing number(without her there) if i'm doing it as a surprise for her?

Walmart will only activate it in the store. They won't sell me one without them setting it up.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

if its only under her name and you don't have any permision to alter her account, then the only to get one is at full price. Its the same price, so I would suggest going to an at&t store and see what they have to say.

3. archer75 thread starter macrumors 65816

Only way to get the sale is to go to walmart. I did talk to another employee there who said it wouldn't be a problem. But until their cell phone guy shows up I won't know for sure.

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Unless you're authorized on her account, you won't be able to do squat. Can you imagine what could happen to ATT if you were allowed to port a number from one phone to another, on an unauthorized account?

Nice surprise idea for your wife, but not going to happen.