Getting iPhone tomorrow need some advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry454, Oct 2, 2007.

1. harry454 macrumors 6502

Hey guys my iPhone is coming in the mail tomorrow, I'm in Canada, so it will be brand new sealed, I just wanted to know how can I find out what firmware is on there without activating it? Also is this tutorial good for unlocking it http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/iphone_how_to_software_unlock_windows_74_1.html?
    Also have any of you used that tutorial? Also what apps should I install on it? Thanks

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, I got a week 38 phone today, and it was old firmware.

I doubt any have the new software yet, but that is pure speculation.

3. JPyre macrumors 6502

Open the packaging, Dial " *3001#12345#* " in the emergency call part before activation.

This should bring up the field test, and should show the firmware.

If its a 1.0.2 (03.*.*_G) or earlier you should be ok. Go to Nullriver and install AppTapp, this will give you all the games and customizations. You can unlock it with some other software somehow but i'm not sure the best way. Do NOT upgrade to 1.1.1 and do NOT use iFuntastic whatever you do. And be aware you might lose a lot of functionality not being on AT&T's network, data, visual voice etc. and possibly incurr fees. I dont know, I havent unlocked and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. Unlocking may permanently keep you from ever upgrading, even if a crack is found.

If its a 1.1.1 (04.*.*_G) phone DO NOT downgrade or activate it, return it, or patiently wait till its cracked or an SDK is released, possibly never.

Edit: See my post below about IPhoneSimFree might work if the phone is downgraded.

4. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

5. JPyre macrumors 6502

SDK is a Software Development Kit, hopefully in the future Apple will allow 3rd party apps to be put on legitimatly and work with all versions of the phone, instead of making people hack around it on only 1.0.2 phones like it is now.

6. crandel macrumors member

I have the same question!

Just to reiterate, is there any way to tell what firmware you have without opening the box? (I think it says on the return policy that they charge a 10% repacking fee.:()

Was there any change to the packaging or something with the new software? (kinda doubtful i guess)

Maybe there is a way to tell from the serial number or part number on the packaging?

7. JPyre macrumors 6502

No, you have to open it, chances are its NOT 1.1.1.

And... I might've been wrong about my last post, IPhoneSimFree is claiming a downgraded phone can be sim-unlocked while still having the new modem firmware... they havent updated in a week though....

8. crandel macrumors member

Yeah, I figure that its old firmware, but Im still weary...

Another question: How do you tell what week your iphone is? Or rather, what part of the serial number is the week? And what does that mean exactly? Weeks since first Iphones?

Thanks!

9. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order online. It's only been 4 days since the new firmware was released and I have a feeling my phone will come from the old inventory. They are NOT going to open every phone in the warehouse to change firmware. I also think most iPhone sales are either in an Apple or ATT store. Online will hopefully have older inventory