Getting iPod Touch software v2.0 "free" before July 11....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DCBass, Jul 4, 2008.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I am about to buy an 8gb iPod touch, but was wondering if there is an amount of time before July 11th where Apple will credit recent purchasers with the 2.0 OS.

Something like, "those who have bought an ipod touch in the past 7 days will not have to pay the upgrade fee of $9.95 to download the 2.0 software"...

I haven't seen anything about this from Apple or on these forums. Is there an official line from Apple about this? I'd like to order the 8gb as soon as possible.

Thanks,

DCBass

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why not wait a couple days and definitely get it for "free"?

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

They allowed this for up to two weeks before the update in January, but there's no guarantee that they're going to do the same thing again.

4. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a gift, and July 11th will be too late to order it.

So, I'd like to avoid giving them something and saying, "but you'll have to spend $10 to get the App Store and all the fantasticalness that will ensue from doing so."

At the same time, I'd like to avoid giving a belated gift. Probably not the biggest deal though.

DCBass

Oh, and thanks for the quickest replies ever arkitect and akonradi!!

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

6. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Enclose a portrait of Hamilton with the gift. That should do the trick.

7. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Haha,

Nice. I think I will probably just go ahead and order it today.

Thanks everyone!

DCBass

8. illidian macrumors 6502

You could include an iTunes gift card with the gift to ensure that it will cost them nothing.

9. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent point. I think I may do that.

Thanks!

I did end up ordering it today. I should also say, in case anyone didn't notice it, but Apple does have refurbs in stock for all sizes. $50 off for the 8 and 16 gb... $70 off for the 32 gb... I might have to get one myself...

Dang I'm excited... I can't wait for July 11th to come :D

Best,

DCBass

10. BucketsTouch macrumors newbie

Hi,
    New iTouch user, got it off eBay a couple weeks ago and love it :) , Joined the forum to find tips/tricks/faq's --- I saw this thread, I've looked and searched all over for the v2.0 software and can't find it, for free or pay where can I get it? I want the other apps and the new stuff as well.
    Thanks,Mark

11. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That is becouse it has not been realesed yet. That is on the 11th

12. BucketsTouch macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: oops .... that would explain it :apple:

13. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

It's only $10, is it really that big of a deal?

14. BucketsTouch macrumors newbie

10$ no, software apps Yes :)

15. dmkemick macrumors member

Is it even confirmed that Touch purchases after 7/11 will get it for free? I'm planning on getting a 16GB with my iMac using the student deal on/after the 11th, wouldn't mind getting the update for free.

16. illidian macrumors 6502

I don't believe it has been, if you want to be technical about it.

However, there is no doubt in anyone's mind that a Touch bought in November (from a reputable retailer) will include the 2.0 software or at least include $10 off the price.

It's not a "bonus" feature; it's the newest version of the OS.

17. djjoja macrumors member

y not wait and get it completely for free instead of runnin the risk of not gettin it hehe..?

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Because, if you actually read the topic, the iPod is being bought as a gift, and purchasing it after July 11 will be too late.

19. joshiek1990 macrumors newbie

even if you are ok buying the $10 update on the 11th, there is a good chance apple will discontinue the 8gb touch, and lower the price of the 16gb to $299 and the 32gb to $399. so, waiting could save you $110 (or get you twice the storage for your money). i am about to buy a macbook with a free ipod and am definitely going to wait to get it until the 11th. i want that 16gb, not the 8, for free!!

so, definitely wait

20. dmkemick macrumors member

No one would love that more than myself since I'm doing the same thing (waiting until the 11th to get in on the free iPod w/ Mac purchase student deal). However I highly doubt they'll drop the price at this point, otherwise why not do the price drop when the deal started? If they do it now there will be a ton of customers who could are out on the extra cash they would have saved.

Just a thought.

21. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Please read.

22. thrice macrumors newbie

thrice

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

you could give them a $10 gift card along with the touch so they can buy the software upgrade on the 11th.

23. rembaldi macrumors newbie

You are going to pay the 10 bucks one way or another. When I bought my ipod touch it was ten dollars more because it had to the os on it. When the new os comes out again, the models with the new upgrade will be 10 bucks more...to the store or to itunes, pick your poison...but you ARE going to pay for it.:)

24. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

My sister bought a touch like two weeks ago. And Im' going to make SURE she doesn't pay for it. It's a ripoff in my opinion, and in many many others' opinion.

I'm sure someone will be kind enough to put it up on the torrents, and I'll grab it for my sister.

For a company with 16 BILLION in CASH, Apple sure loves to nickel and dime people. :rolleyes:

25. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

Well s&@t then, since McDonalds makes billions each year as well maybe I should just jump over the counter and take what I want for lunch and give them a big f&^k you grin as I leave.

I just bought a touch a few weeks ago and I will happily pay the $10 for an OS update.