Getting learners permit in other state?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mexbearpig, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Well I just turned 15 and in my state 16 is the age for a learners permit. Every now and then I go to Florida on vacation. I checked and there the age is only 15. Where I live you have to go through your school to get the papers to get it. But I'm not sure about Florida. Does anyone know if you have to attend school there to get it?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/teendriv.html

All hail the great and powerful Google!

As an aside I recall when I got my learners permit in one state then moved to a state without one, I couldn't drive in the new state until kids normally could in that state.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd think you have to be a resident of Florida to get a permit there. Going there on vacation every now and then isn't considered being a resident.

4. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Oops. Forgot to mention my family owns a condo there so I think that could work. Not sure though.
    That's the link I have been looking at. Although I checked online for my state and haven't seen anything about going to school here. And I'm pretty sure you have to get forms from the school. But it didn't metion it so I was looking for more of personal experience from people though. Good try though.
    This part was helpful. I guess I'll just have to wait another year *sigh*

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You could still get one in Florida and be able to drive while you're on vacation there.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have a feeling flordia law on permits a dl are a lot likE Texas laws. A big one is if you are under 18 they require proof of enrollment in school and since you are not in a flordia school you will not be able to pull it off. Another thing is they might require a driver Ed class for you be enrolled so yet another thing that will get you in trouble trying to get it.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Just to serve as some consolation, a learner's permit is as great as it seems. It just lets you drive with people who are over 21 (at least here in Michigan), which will probably mean only your parents and possibly your grandparents.

I can say from first hand experience, driving with a parent isn't much fun. You're just missing out on loads of hypocrisy spewing from your parents' mouths.

-Don

8. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I was hoping that maybe through some loophole I could get driving a year earlier. But I think I will have to drive the hours there then take the test.
    Haha! Trust me, I have seen it alot recently. Sister has hers :rolleyes:.

--Wait. Lets say I get my permit there, move up to the next step, liscence to drive alone. Would that liscence be valid back home? Or would it be just like the permit with silentpanda?

9. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Call a DMV in florida and ask. I imagine you have to have proof of residency.

Nobody needs their driver's license at 16 anyway. Enjoy being free from adult responsibilities for a little while longer, trust me. You get your permit, you start driving, and then you turn into a taxi driver.