Getting low frame rates in handbrake!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mugs, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hi, I've got a mid 2009 MBP 2.66 and maye around 2 weeks ago I started ripping my DVDs with handbrake and I was getting like 100 fps... Now however I'm only getting 30 or less sometimes and it's only using 38% of the CPU whereas before it was using like 90-95%. I haven't changed anything. Does anyoe have any ideas?! Lol thanks.

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Lets get the basics out the way first, have you got any other apps running at the same time?

3. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Are you ripping directly from the discs or do you copy the discs to your hard drive first, and then run them through HandBrake?

4. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey yer thanks, erm no I'm not running anything else at the same time and I'm ripping straight from the disc, which is what I was doing before, plus I have tried using mac the ripper and the results were the same. Any ideas??? Thanks

5. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If it's not using 100% CPU, there is probably a data bottleneck. I would suggest copying with MacTheRipper and then Handbrake to check if pulling the data from the disc is the problem, but apparently you tried that already.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Sounds to me like you are using a different preset now (with the 30 fps) that when you were getting around 100 fps. It works like that, if you choose a "better resolution/quality" preset, it will encode slower.

7. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I've used the same presets but I will try changeing it up and seeing what happens. Thanks for all your help. :) I will just keep mixing the settings up till it works well for me. Again, thankyou!!!