Getting macbook pro repaired question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damesJ, Feb 16, 2008.

1. damesJ macrumors member

I bought a macbook pro a several months ago and there are a couple of small things wrong with it that I want to get fixed. The power button is indented into the computer, there is a gap above the superdrive, and the paint on the front button is peeling off.

However, I recently put in a new hard drive (HITACHI Travelstar 7K200). My question is should I take this hard drive out and put in the original one before I hand it over to an apple genius? I don't want to lose my warranty. Or should I just leave in there? I don't really want to go through the hassle of swapping.

Thanks in advance.

2. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

I think I would put the original one in. I believe that using any other hard drive other than an Apple certified or installed one voids the warranty.

3. damesJ thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't Apple now offer the HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 in the macbook pros?

4. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i believe so, but regardless, i think that the macbook pros' warranties don't allow for user replaced hard drives. oddly enough, the macbooks' do.

5. Duckmanbill macrumors newbie

Did they replace the front button for you? My front button's paint has also worn off. When I went in to my local apple store for an unrelated repair and asked about replacing the button they said that since it was a cosmetic problem, it wasn't covered by warranty. They also said that replacing the button involves replacing the whole bottom case, which they weren't willing to do anyway. Seems like a dumb design if you have to replace the case to fix a button!