Getting macbook to display right resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Osarkon, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I've just bought a 22" Acer monitor which supports as its highest resolution 1680 x 1050.

My first generation macbook with the GMA 950 graphics should theoretically be able to support this right?

Yet I can't seem to get it to display at that resolution. The resolution I have it at now is 1280 x 960, and the only other resolution it's showing as available is 1280 x 1024.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

I've tried clicking Detect Displays and restarting the macbook, both to no avail. :confused:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When you go to
    System Preferences / Displays / Display

There should be various resoltuions on each of the displays, and you should be able to choose the proper one for the specific display.

Otherwise you might want to try SwitchResX (and there is another app too that does that).

Or you might need to close the lid of MacBook, and wake it up using usb keyboard/ mouse.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Also, make sure that "Mirror Displays" is unchecked.

4. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Thanks both of you, that program has gotten me further. I now have the right resolution, only issue I have now is that the bottom is being cut off.

I've tried using the auto-config on the monitor itself, but it's still being stubborn and I only have half the dock now.

Any suggestions as to how to get this tiny bit sorted? :)

EDIT: Ah nevermind, it seems to have sorted itself out by trying and failing to flip the rotation. 2 Reboots and it seems to be okay.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You might want to try different refresh rate settings.

Have you tried the display on your other computer?

6. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Refresh rate is currently 75Hz and it seems to be okay.

The desktop is running it at 1600x1200 on Vista, I haven't the faintest how to get that running it at the right resolution and haven't looked at it yet. :D

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So the display doesn't work at the ideal resolution on both computers?

8. ayale99 macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem with my Macbook Pro & Dell 24" monitor. I found that the resolution was fuzzy when I had both the Dell monitor and laptop monitor on at the same time. When I closed the macbook (clamshell mode) and used only the Dell monitor, the resolution was perfect. Must be a video ram issue. Hope that helps.

9. Osarkon thread starter macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It is on the macbook now, sorry can't have clarified. :)

The desktop is another matter, but not particularly bothered about that, it's close and i only use it for gaming anyhow.

Thanks for your help. :)