Getting Malware Warning Popups in Safari 4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dmac77, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but for the past week or so, I've been getting weird popups when going to sites like nytimes.com, macrumors.com, cnet.com, google.com, and other perfectly safe sites that say something along the lines of "This site may harm your computer." And then when I click "Ignore" I get another popup that says are you sure, and I can't get out of the popup, and then I have to quit Safari.

I'm wondering if I have some kind of trojan or something like that. I'll get a screenshot next time it happens.

Anyone have any ideas?

Don

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I too have noticed this at times, even with sites that I'm familiar with, I'm wondering if this message is appearing due to the Fraudulent Website feature in Safari being active?

3. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

4. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Thanks. Apple really needs to fix this, it's annoying as hell.

Don

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

1) It could just be a popup, a fake window. These are made to convince windows users they have malware so they will go to a fraudulent website and download malware disguised as A/V software.

2) It could be safari's fraudulent site check, you should not ignore that.

Either way it's not something Apple can "fix". Make sure you are using safari's popup blocker and have the block fraudulent sites turned on in the security section.

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I do have the popup blocker enabled. Did you read the above comments? cmcbridejr posted a link to another thread where other people are having this same problem with Safari 4. This is a problem with Safari 4's Fraudulent Website feature. Ads are causing this message to popup. Apple can fix this, and they need to.

Don

7. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

The other thread made it clear it's NOT a problem with Safari or OSX, but an advertisement that has made it's way into the rotation. Get a screenshot and forward it to macrumors so they can identify the offending ad and have it removed from the site.

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

In the battle of the spam pop-up blockers, the advertisers currently have the upper hand.

Doesn't mean any more than that, your machine isn't infected, just that the spam advertisers have defeated your pop-up blocker.

You don't need a anti-virus program, just a pop-up blocker update ... which will hopefully be soon.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've got Firefox with Adblock and NoScript, haven't had any warnings :)

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Which proves it's not Safari 4, but some advertisement. Firefox and Safari share the same source for the fraudulent site information, Google.

12. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

13. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

This has nothing to do with a problem in Safari that Apple needs to fix.

It seems there is malware being embeddded in advertisements on web pages.