Getting Menubar on External Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kbert77, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kbert77 macrumors newbie

I’m brand new to the wonderful world of Mac, so apologies if this question is stupid, but I’ve been searching for recent answers, and have had little luck. Hoping there’s some new information related to Lion that might help.

I have a macbook pro extended onto an external monitor for photo editing. Is there a way to duplicate my menu bar on the external monitor- so that I can access my photoshop menus on the same screen that I am working on the image in.

I know that I CAN set my preferences to make the external monitor the primary, but this seems to move not only the menu bar, but the dock and the entire desktop as well. I would prefer to be able to work on a screen with just a neutral background and none of the clutter of my normal desktop.

I have tried an app called Second Bar, which works great for a few minutes, but then tends to shut photoshop suddenly.

Any suggestions?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I'll second the recommendation for MenuEverywhere. It's a feature I've wanted for ages (well, since I started using 2 screens...) and while not perfect, it *is* versatile and the developer is quite responsive with updates for whatever little bugs you report - I had an issue months ago and it was fixed in less than a day....oh yeah!

3. kbert77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. It's a bit of a bummer, this isn't something Lion can do on its own, but this does seem to fit the bill. I see in some reviews there are complaints of Menueverywhere putting a real drain on the CPU, have you encountered problems with this?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I've not seen that. Perhaps in earlier versions there was an issue but currently it's pretty lean on your resources. Right now on my Mac Pro it uses about 0.2% under normal usage, with a *very* brief spike when you switch apps or access the menu, and even then it's usually just up to 4 or 5% and again, it's a very brief spike. Now, that's just my experience on my system.

It's shareware and you get 2 weeks of full functionality to try it out, so why not take it for a test drive and see if it works for you....oh yeah!