Getting mini-DVD's onto iMAC for iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wheat2222, Jul 4, 2007.

1. wheat2222 macrumors newbie

Hey folks - I admit that I made a purchase without 100% research. :( Now, I am trying to salvage the purchase of my Sony DCR-DVD408. It records to mini-DVD's. I now know that I can't connect to my wife's iMAC since the Sony only has a USB connection and not Firewire. My research today turned up a Canopus ADVC110 Digital Video Converter. Or, do I buy an external CD/DVD drive to read the minis. Do either of these sound like the proper path or is there something else I am missing. Many thanks in advance!!

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I think an external CD/DVD rom would be the answer. Don't be like a friend of mine who put the mini disk into his iMac ... :eek:

Sorry should have mentioned ..... Don't attempt to load a mini cd/dvd into any mac with a "slot feed"

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Dont forget to finalize your miniDVD's before you read them in your external CD/DVD drive (once you purchase it) and then you will need to use Handbrake to rip it.

Handbrake was the only part you were missing... good luck!

However if you want to edit it it would be a LOT easier with a converter. I dont know about the one you found but if it imports via firewire you will save yourself a lot of time and headache.

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It would be lots faster and less complicated with the ADVC110. Just note that with the ADVC, you're going from digital (DVD) to analog (camera to ADVC), to digital again (ADVC to computer). So there will be slight quality loss, although DVDs aren't great anyway so I doubt you'd even notice it.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

>>I now know that I can't connect to my wife's iMAC since the Sony only has a USB connection and not Firewire<<

You don't need Firewire to connect since you won't actually be capturing footage. Many DVD drives are USB and connect/work just fine. If the disc has been finalized, it should show up on the desktop just like it would if it was in a regular DVD drive ... at least it has with the ones I've tried when clients bring in their DVD camcorders.

-DH

6. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

7. -DH macrumors 65816

You did see this on the link you posted ... didn't you?

"*Note that the adapter may not work when used in a vertically-loading drive."

-DH

8. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Meh. Let me find what we use. It's snaps on to the DVD. I've used it in a upside-down macbook.

9. samson2000 macrumors newbie

Mini disc from handycam to mac

I have succeeded in loaded a mini disc from my Sony 803e handycam to my mac using a USB cable. You have to ensure you have "finalized" your disc on the handycam first. Put your USB in and restart the handycam.

Go into imovie

file and import.