Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I realize this is a feature introduced in Mojave, but is there a third-party app anyone knows of that can replicate this functionality in High Sierra?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I just tried Stacks on the Desktop for the first time, for all of 15 seconds. I don't want to give up my ability to place items on the Desktop where I want them. (I already have no choice for Drive icons.) Try making alias folders and/or group things manually. It should work fine.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I just tried Stacks on the Desktop for the first time, for all of 15 seconds. I don't want to give up my ability to place items on the Desktop where I want them. (I already have no choice for Drive icons.) Try making alias folders and/or group things manually. It should work fine.

Well, while I'm glad you're happy with the old way, I prefer the functionality in Mojave and Catalina.

How would I go about creating the "pseudo Stacks" you mentioned before.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
By making alias folders (or standard folders) and placing the items in them manually. It's just an organizing function for the Desktop. You can do it yourself, and have the flexibility to place things differently.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Ok. I guess the automatic thing was part of the appeal to me. Thanks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.