Getting More Use From My MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xomphos, Apr 16, 2010.

1. xomphos macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I currently own a mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro. I am using it with school and it has been great! I upgraded the HDD to 500GB and the RAM to 4GB. At home, I have it placed on a mStand and connected to my external 24" Asus monitor and it works great.
    However, I want to get more use outta this thing. I really mostly use just Firefox, Pidgin, iTunes, iPhoto, Word and Excel. This is a great laptop and I know I am missing out on the potential for this.

What I want to know, is what are some of the fundamental programs that would help incorporate this into my lifestyle more? I am seriously considering "Things for Mac" for a task manager, maybe the Djay3 program but that is about it. I do not use iCal (using an EnvTouch-I tried some third party software, it was good but not a seamless experience so I don't use iCal for my calender), Apple Mail (use Gmail in-browser with filters/labels), etc. If I really want to get the jucies flowing on this Mac, what are some things I can do for it in this regard? I have taken a long look at the top apps and everything like that but usually come away empty-handed.

Also, to the same regard, I am highly considering purchasing a medium Timbuk2 D-Lux Race Stripe Laptop Messenger Bag for this and my books, power adapter, iPod Classic, PSP go, etc. Why I am asking about it here, is that I already own a very reliable and great Swiss Gear bag. I got the bag last summer, but after I got the MacBook Pro, I started to get into the whole, "Mac Style" thing and came across Timbuk2. I don't ride a bike or anything like that, but I have been eying these bags for a long time. Are they worth it-particularly in my case? I really like the appeal of a messenger bag in that it easily goes on and off and I can access things a bit without taking it off. Any suggestions?

So basically, this post is to find out how to get more "Mac" in my life. I was considering an iPad, but decided to hold off on one because I figured for my usages, I would be better off with a more PDA-like iPod Touch or iPhone. I just got a new phone last August-ish on Verizon and the iPhone needs to come to it before I get one. I am considering a 64GB iPod Touch soon, but for what I have said above, any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The first question is, "what do you want to create?" - music (I see a dj app), websites, ye olde graphic design, 3d models???? That will help direct you toward programs. Perhaps start with iMovie and mess around with some video to share.

3. xomphos thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really have any interest in creating anything at the moment with my Mac. Primarily what I am looking for are management/task programs basically. I mentioned Djay3 because I have a casual interest in it for fun.