Getting Multiple computers on comcast

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sgt-Hall-08, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Sgt-Hall-08 macrumors newbie

I have comcast brodband internet and i have a mac and a ps3. i bought a belkin 54g wireless router and to get on my ps3 i have to reset my modem, and to get back on the mac, i have to reset the modem again. i just recently was able to get my mac and ipod touch on the internet at the same time, but still can't get on with my ps3. Can anyone help?

2. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Could you be a bit more specific, please?

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to run two computer off of a router. I presently have two AppleTVs, 2 laptops and three desktops running off my router. The two AppleTVs and the two Laptops are wireless and the desktops are wired. Are you trying to run the two computers wired or wireless? If they won't work wireless, try connecting them temporarily to the wired ports on the router. The computer should see the connection as soon as it's made. With DHCP enabled it should be automatic. Please give us more details on how you are connecting and the results you optain on the computer.
    Happy New Year.
    Terry

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

4. hhlee macrumors 6502

power up the router, then restart the modem. comcast should then see your router mac address and your router should work with your devices. i have 3 macs and a ps3 being served by a linksys wrt54g router.

5. seattle macrumors 6502

Do you have DHCP setup on the router? It sounds like you are getting an IP address from Comcast and they only allow one IP address per modem. What IP are you getting on devices? I have 6 Belkin routers and they have all been rock solid.

6. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

it could be the routed or the modem, most likely the router.
    I have 3 computers off of my Airport and I have Comcast and no problems

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

comcast + belkin router + multiple computers = nottaproblemo here :p

8. Sgt-Hall-08 thread starter macrumors newbie

i appreciate you guys replying so fast. i have my imac hooked up by ethernet directly to the router, my ps3 and ipod touch are both wifi. i can turn internet sharing on my imac and connect my ipod and my imac on the internet at the same time, but my ps3 still wont connect. i was thinking maybe it's because the software that came with the belkin router would never install on my imac. but i just dont know why the ps3 wont connect. to get my ps3 on the internet, i have to turn off internet sharing, turn off my mac, turn off my ipod, and reset the motorolla modem comcast brought over, then i can finally get on the internet on my ps3. if i try getting on my ps3 while my ipod and imac are connected, then the internet test on my ps3 fails at "obtaining ip adress".

9. seattle macrumors 6502

You do not need to install any Belkin software to setup the router. Do you have the cable from your cable modem going to the WAN port on the router? If you have it going to one of the LAN ports then your router is going to act like a switch and you will only get one IP address from Comcast. Internet sharing will work though since your Mac is acting like a router.