Getting my 1st MBP ! Advice needed...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeoThe3rd, Apr 17, 2011.

1. LeoThe3rd macrumors newbie

Hi,

I finally decided to purchase my first ever laptop - a MacBook Pro 15" 2011.

Since the prices of laptops are insane in my country (Israel), I've decided to go with B&H. I did consider eBay, but I rather spend a few more bucks for my peace of mind.

I basically need help deciding between the following 2 specs:

$1,694.28-

2GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core
    4GB (2x2GB) RAM
    500GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
    SuperDrive
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256MB GPU
    15.4" Glossy Widescreen LED Backlit Display

$1,999.00 - (currently in pre-order)

2GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core
    4GB (2x2GB) RAM
    500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    SuperDrive
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256MB GPU
    15.4" Glossy High-Res Widescreen LED Backlit Display

----

My needs are very humble: no gaming, some image/video editing, internet, movies, music recording.

The faster RPM hard drive is not a must for me. I know the pros and cons of both and I'm okay with sacrificing speed for longer battery life and less heat.
    More importantly, I will probably be upgrading to an SSD in the future.

What I'm more concerned about is the low resolution display.

Is there a noticeable difference (considering my needs) ?
    And, should I consider anything else?

Thanks !

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Considering your needs, the hi-res option will just be a luxury. If extra $300 is no problem, you can't go wrong ;)

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Your more beneficial if you purchase a MacBook Air. It features an equivalent screen resolution that of the 15" Pro in an 13" screen!

You also get flash storage, since you said you wanted to upgrade to SSD. By buying and aftermarket SSD, you will be looking to spend $500+ alone, which can be very expensive.

As you said, the speeds of a 7200rpm HDD is equivalent to a 5400rpm, there isnt noticeable difference in real world tests, just in benchmarks.

I am not sure on the Hi-res screen, but I would suggest you to get an upgraded 2.13gHz processor, 256GB SSD, and 4GB RAM MacBook Air, just like I did. It is equivalently priced and much more lighter/thinner than the Pro.

4. LeoThe3rd thread starter macrumors newbie

The MacBook Air is out of the question because of the small screen.

I did a quick search about the difference and basically I understand that it's a matter of personal preference. I guess I'll just have to go out and see it in person.

Thanks

5. revm1m macrumors member

Should I get Mbp 17" 2011 or wait for mbp 17" 2012?

This would be my first mbp. I have ipad2 & iphone and love them both. I was going to wait until this summer to get 2011 mbp 17" , but I am wondering if I should wait until next spring to get the mbp 17"2012?

6. Giroux macrumors newbie

Buy it when you need it, there will ALWAYS be something new around the corner so do not let that drive you too crazy.

7. HelloPanda macrumors member

I'm in the same situation. I'm looking to get either a 13 or 15 inch MBP. I think I'm going to wait till OSX Lion comes out and becomes the default install on the machine.

8. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

I have the high-res screen and to me it really makes a difference, looks amazing i would say. Obviously i added mine on through apple on a basic 15" so it only cost another £80.

9. Final Hour macrumors newbie

I'd go for the base 15", you'll save a ton of money and for your needs it'll outperform your expectations by a long shot.

Have fun with whichever you choose, they are amazing machines.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I agree with this. The high res screen is a no brainer for me.