Getting my 1st MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elie.fares, Jul 22, 2009.

1. elie.fares macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm getting my 1st MBP by next week at the online store.
    I am getting the low-ed 13'' and configuring it.
    I have 3 options:
    - leave as it is
    - make it 320 GB HD
    - make it 4GB RAM and 250 GB HD

I'm thinking about going with the third one. Hope that's the correct thing to go with.
    Anyway, I'm not a US resident. But I'm getting the education thing. So I get a free iPod with it.
    Now, for the rebate, will the money be returned to the credit card account or will they send a check to my relative's address in the states?

2. Alvito macrumors newbie

make it 4GB and a bigger hard drive, but do that upgrade yourself after you buy it.

You'll save more money that way.

3. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

I read that somewhere on this forum.
    However, getting the RAMs and the Hard Drive from Lebanon (my country) is pretty much very expensive.
    The MBP I intend to buy from the states costs around 2000$ here.
    Besides, I searched on amazon for hard drives and RAMs and couldn't find any (4GB, 1600 MHz) that are less expensive than Apple's.

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

If you order the MBP online, look closely at the Shipping info at the bottom of each description. I just ordered a 15" MBP with the 320GB drive, as it shipped within 24 hours of order. However, the 250GB model is taking up to a week later to ship, for some reason. There seems to be a delay in getting those drives.

If you are nearly as impatient as I, check the shipping status/time of the model you are looking at.

5. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I would definitely go for 4GB RAM and at least the 320GB HD and the 500GB HD id you can.
    As for 'doing it yourself' - I am not so sure.
    I live in the UK and when I was considering my MBP purchase I priced buying the extra RAM and larger HD in a view to installing it myself. To be honest there was a saving but not enough for the hassle of having to order them, disassemble my new MBP, install them and they re-install the Mac OSX again.
    Perhaps in the US were memory and hard drives are cheaper it a better option but for me in the UK I didnt think it was worth the hassle for a few quid.

6. applusr macrumors newbie

You can get Crucial brand 4GB ram for $57 and a 320 GB Western Digital 5400 RPM Scorpio Blue HD for $67 at newegg.com, that is really cheap. And also you will have the HD was inside your MBP as a spare or to use it as a external drive (you can get a external case for less tha $20).

7. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's what I'm thinking also. I don't feel comfortable changing RAMs and HD.
    I was like, if I buy them and try to change them in person, I'd have to do everything all over again and somehow, even with the budget I have, it just didn't make sense. I mean, I'm getting 100$ off on the laptop since I'm a student and I'm using that 100$ to upgrade and a little more. If I get the 4GB RAMs and the 250GB HD, I'd be a 35$ over the 100$. With the 320 GB, I'd be 80$ above.
    So in both cases, it sort of isn't much of a difference.

I have another question. My credit card isn't American. When I tried to buy my iPhone (2G) on the apple store a couple of years back, it did not accept my credit card.
    But a few days ago, for the fun of it I tried it and it passed the verification step and they were like: thanks for your order. Your order number is Wsomething.

Is there any way they'd refuse the credit card after that?

8. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

:confused: Not really sure what you mean there. Are you living in the UK, with a UK issued credit card and trying to buy off the US Apple Store or something?

9. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

^ u can consider it like that.
    I don't live in the UK.
    My credit card is issued by the country I live in and it has passed the verification step by apple.
    I got an order # and all but I cancelled.

Anyway, I reviewed the terms of service and they say that a credit card associated with a billing address in the US will be accepted.
    So I guess I'm on the safe side since the billing address I'm using is in the US.

10. dead goon macrumors member

Find a reseller and buy one in person. It's a lot easier.

11. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

Try newegg.com. I found 2GB for $30.00. Of course, I don't know if they ship to Lebanon.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not going to do much good because all Macs come standard with 2GB and there are only 2 memory slots.

13. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

oops I didn't realize that. Sorry. Still cheaper on Newegg though.

14. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Newegg is xenophobic (LOL) and won't ship out of the country.

Try eBay.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

16. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

Well, in Lebanon, buying from a reseller is more or less a rip-off. They are selling the old MB Aluminum 13'' for 1600$ :)