Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I posted this in the MBP section, but realized that this is probably more of a general/help type of question. Maybe a mod could delete the other one?
I am selling my 2009 MBP to my brother and I had some questions about getting it ready to give to him. I'm planning on leaving my music library on it for him. I don't want to set it back to like-new condition because it came with Snow Leopard on it, and I don't want to have to update a bunch of stuff, reinstall, etc.
I basically was just wondering the best way to remove all of my old stuff from the computer (except the music library) and disassociate everything from my Apple ID and to set the user account to his name and stuff. I'm not concerned about the security of anything on the laptop since I trust my brother, and there's nothing particularly important on it. Basically I want to just clear it of all traces of me, and just leave the music on it.

jonathan.c

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Canada
It might sound redundant but the easiest way to do this is to wipe your computer and put the music back on.

You seem to stress the importance of "leaving no traces of me". That's fine, and the only way to do it "properly" is to do the format/wipe/reinstall or whatever you want to call it.

I put properly in quotes because any other method is fine, but will still leave slight traces of you behind. User preferences, application user data, defaults, and etc. will require some manual work if you don't want to reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.