Getting my dad old iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shaggy666Acedogs999, Oct 19, 2016.

1. shaggy666Acedogs999 macrumors newbie

Hi guys so today my dad and I was cleaning the basement and we found his old iPhone 5 it was dead but a few hours of charge done the trick so it still works and I'm thinking about asking him could I buy it or get from him, since he doesn't used it anymore. So I check the imei it ready for activation so I also got an upgraded but should I take his iPhone 5 over me using my upgraded because I always wanted an iPhone but just don't have the money for it now until now not enough but just enough to get his old iPhone 5, but I mostly likely going to get it for free. So would it still be good in 2016 plus it free.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh yeah, it's still a capable phone. It runs the latest version of iOS and it's surprisingly smooth for its age.

I wouldn't personally pay money for one — the hardware is too old and there's a documented problem with the batteries on them (don't worry, they don't explode, they just stop holding charge) — but if you're getting it for nothing, I think you'll be very happy with it.

If it's not up to scratch, then there's nothing stopping you going for a newer model! :)

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.0.1. Just updated my wife's iPhone 5 to iOS 10 last weekend. Both phones run fine on those versions of iOS.

iOS 10 is likely to be the last version for the iPhone 5 though. Both my wife and I use our iPhone 5's as media devices and they function very well for that.

My son has a 4s I just got him and it's running iOS 9.3.5. Does well enough for him too. So, if you're looking for a decent iPhone and you don't need to be on the bleeding edge of processing power the 5 is capable.

4. se95dah macrumors member

Yep. On iOS 10 the iPhone 5 still runs well and is 100% an iPhone. While waiting for the iPhone 7 I traded down to a 5 for a couple of months and while I missed Touch ID and it is certainly noticeably slower than newer iPhones it is still perfectly usable.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Way back in 2011 I got my sister's old 3GS for Christmas. Wasn't my primary phone at the time but I wanted it because nine months later I was upgrading to the iPhone 5 (the one I mentioned in my earlier post). Carried two phones around for nine months, but it was cool because I learned iOS using that 3GS.

When I got my 5, transitioning from my WinMo phone (my primary phone at the time) was smooth and easy because that 3GS had taught me all I needed to know.

I highly recommend older iDevices as a supplement to your current device if you are unfamiliar with how Apple does things. It's a real easy way to learn without affecting your primary device.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Great advice. However if I may add for any readers that I wouldn't go below an iPhone 5/5C in 2016 if you want to dip your toe into iOS.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It goes to show you how well these iPhones still perform after all these updates. That's why I love iOS and Apples hardware.

8. irod87 macrumors regular

I say no harm in using it. Get a newer one when you have the funds.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Unless it is broken the 5 is just fine. The most you might have to do is get the battery replaced but use it and see how it does first

10. shaggy666Acedogs999, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

shaggy666Acedogs999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the quick and nice replies so I'm getting his old iPhone 5 and when my mom gets home from work we are going to Verizon to see if I could switch. It's in mint condition even still got a screen protector on it I'm getting it for free . received_1098924060161430.jpeg image3.JPG

11. FoxMike macrumors member

If it has the battery problem and it shows up on apples website they will replace the battery. About 6 months ago I rep ran the serial and sure enough it fell under the battery program which apparently has no end date.

Run the serial here

https://www.apple.com/my/support/iphone5-battery/

12. scotttnz macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't pay money for anything older than a 5s. But if you are getting it for free, or very close to it, that would be a great no risk way to try out iOS to see if you like it.

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Boy oh boy. It's still a gorgeous phone.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nice. You have my wife's iPhone 5. :D

I have the Black/Slate version.

We would have given our son one of the two iPhone 5's instead of the 4s we gave him, but both our iPhone 5's are locked to Sprint and it's the last Sprint iPhone that cannot be unlocked for domestic use. We're on T-Mobile now so he wouldn't have been able to use it.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It's free, and fully functional. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer models, obviously, but if someone handed me a free iPhone 5 I'd be happy.

16. shaggy666Acedogs999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice the whole family got an iPhone that's cool I wanted the black/slate but I take the white/sliver over no iPhone.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, my wife doesn't care WHAT phone we buy when we upgrade. She lets me handle that and the service. However, her one stipulation is that WHEN I do buy she gets the same device I do - unless she has some specific preference. This way it's not just me upgrading and leaving her behind because she doesn't really do tech.

2012 was an odd year because she decided that her portion of our tax refund would go instead to a backyard swing set for our kids. So she was on her old Touch Pro for an extra year longer than me. But I upgraded her to the 5 in 2013. We always buy the max capacity Apple offers so the only difference between her 64GB iPhone 5 and mine is color.

Last year I upgraded and got the 128GB 6+. She didn't want the larger phone so she got the 6. When we ported to T-Mobile I got the 6s+ and she again did not want the larger phone so she got the 6s. Both phones, 128GB. She had gold for the 6 and rose gold for the 6s. I stay with Space Gray.

Next year when we upgrade she has made her preference known that she now wants the larger phone. So it'll be two 256GB models of whatever the larger model it is Apple will be selling. Our only difference then will be color.

In my son's case I was looking for an 8GB iPhone 4s. His is white, but color at the time was irrelevant to me. A friend had a 8GB 4s for $20. Just happened to be white so that's what my son got.

But yeah, we generally stick to Apple products. There are two iPad Air 2s in the house as well as PowerMacs and PowerBooks. Only one Intel Mac, 2006 era.

That's how we work it anyway.

18. shaggy666Acedogs999, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

shaggy666Acedogs999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice man I'm already used to the 4in screen coming from a 5.2.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2016 ---

--- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2016 ---

19. Christopher092881 macrumors newbie

Yes, still a great phone. I loved my slate iPhone 5. It was really a nice looking device that served me well for 2 years. Use that and wait till September 2017 for the next iPhone, which will likely be the one to get. Skip the 7 or 7+.

20. shaggy666Acedogs999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the iPhone 5, turn on it a 16gb :( hope I could find a way to mange with 16gb. My dad old number is still on here, everything has been factory reseted so does anyone know how to remove his old number, or when I switch my information on the iPhone then would it go away. It said 3g now when I switch and activated the iPhone 5 would it go to 4g.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it's not activated on the new SIM yet then you'll have no service and the phone number won't change until the new SIM is inserted and the phone is activated.

22. shaggy666Acedogs999 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I will need to get a new sim card so it can be activated were do I get one at from Verizon, could I possibly used the sim card that is in there already. Could I used my SIM card from my android in the iPhone.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you want to use it on Verizon you'll need a Verizon SIM card. Whether that's from your current phone or a brand new one.

24. shaggy666Acedogs999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on Verizon with my parents family plan the phone I got is the lg g2, but we didn't make it to Verizon today, but tommrow we are going. I just want as much help and information before we go tomorrow so I can learn a few things so that's I got some many questions.

25. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I still like the iPhone 5 series design than any other iPhone,best looking iPhone in my opinion