GEtting my ducks in a row for upgrading 2011 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattSepeta, Oct 9, 2011.

1. MattSepeta, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I found a great deal (I think) on a 2011 15" i7 2Ghz w/ 4GBram and 500gb hard drive, not to mention a displayport cable and 2.5years left on apple care for $1300. Assuming it all checks out and the guy is legit (really sounds like it) I am getting this bad boy tomorrow and selling my imac. finally going portable!

Please let me know if my assumptions below are incorrect in any way. This is my first macbook pro-

-The ram out of my 2010 iMac will fit in the MBP. It only has two slots though so the best I can get with my 4GB sticks is 8GB.

-The HDD from my iMac will NOT fit. I will need a 2.5" drive to replace the HDD with a bigger one. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a big, 7200rpm 2.5" hdd? The biggest I can find is 1TB, which makes sense given the form factor I guess...

-The 2.5" OCZ ssd I have will fit in the optibay with this adapter once I remove the optical drive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-SDD...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item415b737383

-To connect a 23" Apple Cinema display (aluminum from a few years back) I will need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter to plug into the thunderbolt port on MBP from display.

At this point I have a sweet macbook pro with no OS and no optical drive. I have never bothered with Lion yet so I figure this is as good a time as any to give her a go. Is it as simple as turning the machine on in my wifi network and clicking "download" or something? I am not sure if this guy got the USB thingy or not. I am really at a loss as to what to do next.

Also- With the HDD swap, do I need to worry about any heating issues? On my iMac I run SMC fan control at near full blast just in case. Logic tells me the SSD generates no heat so heat should not be an issue...

Lastly, and this is pretty much just for verification, I won't notice a huge speed decrease in my work going from the iMAc to MBP will I? I will be going down from a 2.93 i7 and 12GB to 8gb and 2ghz i7, yet I feel that for working with RAW images in aperture and photoshop and the occasional FCP 7 work this should be fine. I doubt I will notice a decrease, but I want to make sure.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, the RAM can be used.

Yes, you have to get a 2.5" S-ATA HDD.

Yes, you need that MDP to DVI adapter.

No need to worry about any heating issues, the SSD will not make the MBP too hot or hot.
    If the MBP has nothing on it, you can't just download Lion with it, you either need to buy it via your iMac and make a bootable installer with it or you have to install 10.6 onto the MBP and download Lion with that.
    Or if the MBP came with Lion, there will be a Lion recovery partition on it, unless the seller deleted that too.
    OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

The speed decrease might not be huge, but definitely noticeable.

3. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

tbh it may actually be faster than the iMac if it's a 2010 model