getting my dvd collection on to my ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ethan101, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ethan101 macrumors member

just wondering how to get my dvds on to my ipod touch.

anyone with any info would help alot i have never done it before.

Ethan

2. godisjustpreten macrumors member

DVD Decrypter and PQ DVD work pretty well for me, but there are tons of solutions - some free - out there.

I do the following:
    1) decrypt the dvd to a temp folder.
    2) rename the VOB file to mpg.
    3) use PQ DVD to convert to iPod format.

The quality is great.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I use Handbrake, with the presets for the Iphone/Touch.

It's pretty straight-forward.

4. ethan101 thread starter macrumors member

straight forward handbrake

for using handbrake would you mind giving me a quick rundown of it please?
    i get started with it but it only makes the first 30 seconds of the movie in to a mp4
    Thanks
    Ethan

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Are you sure you chose the correct part of the DVD (called title by Handbrake)? Choose the main film, it's easily recognized by the lenght of the title.

6. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Yeah I use handbrake do do mine.make sure you have the latest graphical version of it and a DVD decrypter. I use DVD 43. Works a charm. Make sure you encode into iPod/iPhone format or it will take an extra session in iTunes to sort it out again. Asil I found out yesterday when I first connected my iPod. I lovsle it though. I'm using it right now as a matter of fact. Hope this helps.

7. ethan101 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i am selecting the longest run time 2h36m12s or something like that

Ethan

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Just a guess, but maybe you're running out of ram while ripping?

9. RubberShoes macrumors regular

yea ive had a couple problems with running out of RAM, but 3GB solved that problem...

All of these are great solutions, but if you really want the easiest I'd have to recommend Pocked DVD Wizard (google it) It costs like 30 bucks but that comes with just about a lifetime license for all new versions for life, just select what part of the disc is the movie (it tells you by how long each one, obviously the longest running cell is the movie) and it will not only give you a preview of the movie while you set it up, but it also supports SO many devices (ALL the ipods/iphone/PSP/ just about anything that supports video) and not only does it decrypt, but converts, and will even save it right to the device it drag and drop is supported.

Set its priority on high and enable automatic PC shutdown, go to bed, and you've got a movie waiting for you in the morning!

Lol sorry I sound like an advertisement, but it really has been the best program I've ever used for this kind of work, I rip a movie just about every night and it always works and always comes out perfect for the device, it really works well for the ipod touch

Anyway, you can do all the other solutions if you have time and don't want to pay, but if you want an all-in-one then go for it...its worth it...

BTW I think its only Windows, so your SOL if you dont have an intel iMac or a PC