Getting my eyes lasered next week!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBoobsPro, Apr 8, 2010.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I'm getting my eyes lasered next week. I've passed all the tests etc although the dilation test bit messed my eyes up for a week. I still don't think they are right now. I'm a bit more light sensitive than I was. Basically after the test I had massive pupils for a week instead 24 hours.

What are your experiences with laser eye surgery?

If you have any questions about the procedure I'll try and answer them too as they explained how it works. Theres a few things they don't tell you in the adverts ;)

2. Sti-R macrumors member

how much are you paying for the procedures?

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

£2600 for both eyes.

Its the highest price as Im having the better procedures done.

Wavefront - which basically lasers any imperfection in your eye as well correct your vision. Thus giving much better results than just correcting your vision.

Lasik - is the actual procedure of zapping your eye. Lasik is when they cut a thin layer of your eye away zap what underneath and then put the flap back and let it heal naturally. Lasek (with an e) is when they do the same thing but use a soft contact lense the help keep the flap in place while it heals. This is more of a faff, takes longer to heal and has potential for more problems to occur.

Intralase - I am also having Intralase which is the process of creating the flap. With intralase they use a laser to create the flap. Without Intralase they use a mechanical tool called a Keratome to cut the flap on the front of your eye. I'm a wuss so opted for the laser.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hopefully your eye surg doesn't look like this..

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I'm considering getting my distance vision corrected..

Attached Files:

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Good luck

if they invent a laser or what ever that can stop Retinis pigmentosa i am so doing it

6. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Sorry to hear about that mate. Hope its not too bad.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good luck with it all :).
    I've always wanted laser eye surgery but the scalpel bit put me off. If it's all done with lasers now then I might have to look into it all again. Intralase and Wavefront sound right up my alley.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

And please don't spare any of the gory details MBP, I'm curious what the downtime & healing & post-procedures are like.

9. ethical macrumors 68000

So what don't they tell you :eek:

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That the laser is actually actuated from behind the eye and they go in through the rectum.

11. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

First they use drops to stop the blink reflex. They then clamp your eye open (which Im guessing looks something along the lines of A Clockwork Orange) but the bit they dont really mention is that to keep your eye still they suck it out a little bit which makes your vision go either grey or black or sometimes it just blurs your vision. If the suction breaks then the procedure is stopped and you have to wait for your eye to heal before you can attempt it again. Its not often the seal breaks but it does happen. :(

They also say in the adverts the procedure "only took 4 minutes". The actual lasering may only take 4 minutes but the setup, and rest period after total around 2 and bit hours. Which isnt bad, especially for surgery but its just how they spin it for the adverts. Once you've rested for a bit afterwards then you can go home.

Oh and the flap that is created on your eye is pulled back by a guy (or gal) with a pair of tweezers. :D

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do you get a choice? :)

13. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Guy or gal or the colour of the tweezers? :D

I'd do it myself, but I can't see. :rolleyes:

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm true.. I guess you probably can't see anyways to make a difference. Do you get to wear those wicked awesome old-people sunglasses?

[​IMG]

I'm looking for Sawah Connuh. Rawwr.

15. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I think so. :D You also get given a handgun with red laser and a phone book.

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I got my eyes "lasered" this past Friday and I can see 20/20 now - I assure you the procedure doesn't hurt at all and it lasts about 2 minutes per eye (maybe even less)

I'm very pleased that I got it and it's a bit surreal knowing I don't have to worry about contacts again.

Just be sure to use plenty of artificial tears and use the medication as prescribed and you'll do just fine

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's hot. :)

18. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks Bub. I am still a little apprehensive because its my eyes were talking about but I'm sure it will be fine. What was the suction bit like? Was it weird?

19. ethical macrumors 68000

Definitely don't like the sound of that bit!

But... I've worn glasses since age 4, so I'd definitely go ahead with it if I had the chance!

20. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The girl tried to make it sound better by saying "Well its not actually tweezers, its a little hook". :eek:

Its the bit I'm least keen on. Apparently it takes a bit of 'tugging' to remove the flap. :(

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The eye itself doesn't have any pain nerve endings, does it? You might not even really notice it. Plus, it'll be over in a few seconds, right?

22. acurafan macrumors 6502a

had lasik done 7 years ago, best $$ i've ever spent. in and out in like 15 minutes (that's what she said...too)!!

23. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I'm pretty sure that if you jam a needle in your eye it would hurt like hell. That being said with laser eye surgery there shouldn't be anything more than an uncomfortable feeling.

I think my 2 and a bit hours takes into account the waiting time before hand plus the 'rest' after. Its weird, theres loads of staff around but nothing hardly seems to be happening. Not in a bad way like they arent working just that theres always people sat waiting and staff stood around.

Did you have to 'rest' or did they just bundle you out the door and shout "next" ?

Did your eyes feel gritty for a while too?

24. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Eye surgery gives me the creeping horrors. I don't think I qualify, I was told at some point that if your eyes are still continually degrading or whatever the surgery won't take, or keep, or something, and I get blinder every nine months or so. I don't know if that's still true. But the idea of the entire process gives me the freaky jeebies. I don't even like going to the optometrist though.. (The last time I had to go to the optometrist it was a costco optometrist and it was the most dirty nasty area attempting to pass as a medical facility I've ever seen, and I've had off the street medical treatment in Mexico). Do they do full sedation eye surgery like with wisdom teeth, or do you absolutely have to be awake for the process? I would rather be in twenty horrible car accidents than be awake while someone is cutting on my eyeballs. :(

25. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

For such a 'small' operation its not worth knocking you out. I dont like the idea of watching my eyes being 'cut' either but the suction on the eyes is supposed to make your vision go grey or black so you probably cant see anything anyway. A few minutes of being uncomfortable is well worth great/good vision afterwards.

Your vision can/will always deteriorate after wards just like it would without surgery but at least you can get back most of what you lost and have better vision for longer.