Getting my First HDTV - Stuck Between These Two Models - Need Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rapmastac1, Feb 15, 2009.

?

37" LCD 1080p or 42" Plasma 720p

Poll closed Feb 25, 2009.
  1. Vizio 37" 1080p LCD HDTV

92.3%
  2. Vizio 42" 720p Plasma HDTV

7.7%
  1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Alright, it is now finally time for me to get my first HDTV! I have been using my HP W1907 19" Widescreen monitor for my screen for a long time. I use it mostly to play games (360) and watch DVDs (until I got my new iMac that is). I really really want to get a bigger screen but I am stuck between two models.

I have done some research on my own and that is how I got to these two models. The TV will be in a basement setting, the lights are built up into the ceiling and there are no windows. So glare is not an issue in the room. I will be using it on an 80/20 (game/movie) ratio. I want a set that offers good value (lotta inputs) and great picture for the price. I have decided to side with Vizio as an American company that makes great affordable sets, their reviews are mostly great!

The sets are;

Costco - Vizio 37" LCD 1080p HDTV: PROS - My ideal screen size, good picture for an LCD, rave reviews, 1080p, light weight, includes free HDMI cable, 2 year warranty (90 days in store).

WalMart - Vizio 42" Plasma 720p HDTV: PROS - Bigger screen size, awesome picture quality (blues are blue and red are reds - human skin tones are right on), pixel shift tech (burn in resistance).

I'm stuck because price, warranty, and overall best set. The Costco set has a 2 year warranty and gives you 90 days to return if you don't love it. My friend got the 32" version of this set and he loves it. It looks really good but I could see some improvements as far as "color depth" is concerned. I couldn't really discern the coolness of having 1080p (most games do not actually display in 1080p even though they say they do).

The Plasma has a much better overall picture but only has the 1 year warranty and 30 days in store for returns. The glossy screen could be troublesome later down the road for me if I have it in a window filled room. It is limited to 720p but the way my vision is, I may not notice the difference either way (I notice the better contrast versus the higher pixel count). The screen is 42" which is nice but a tad bit too big for me, it's workable of course.

The 37" set costs 689.99 at Costco. The 42" set costs 747.00 at WalMart + 2 years for 69.99 and an HDMI cable 15.99. So we are looking at 735.02 versus 887.34. So a little more than 150.00 difference after tax. My limit was 900.00 so it's within what I want, but if I can save some money I will.

So what do you think? I have already made the decision that its going to be either one of these sets, I just don't know which one. I have done the research on many models and sizes and out of process of elimination came up to this point.

What do you think?

2. boonlar macrumors 6502

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never heard of Vizio and only seen Sony, Samsung and Phillips HDTV's outside of shops but I'd go for the LCD one. Firstly it's LCD and 1080p is full HD.

4. No1451 macrumors 6502

They get great reviews because they get purchased by people who are only focused on price.

I recommend almost anything in the Sony Bravia line or the Sharp Aquos line(some of the newer Aquos have bad up-conversion for SD tv if that matters to you).

I can speak to the quality of the Aquos, I have the 37" model and its an absolutely fantastic tv, cost me $1500 when I got it but a great picture, great blacks and colour depth and a fair amount of plugs.

Most of the higher end Samsungs are great too, I have heard good things about the model LN40A550(I am planning on picking one up for my mom, it looks like a nice tv).

5. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Samsung and Sony probably have the best screens in the mid-range of LCD TV's (Series 6 from Samsung and W Series from Sony are the same panels).

If most of what you watch is Standard Def stuff (tv, dvds etc) then Samsung Series 6 is probably the best - it's SD rendering is excellent. I have one (LE40A656) and love it. No idea as to prices in your part of the world though.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have the Samsung LN40A530, which is basically the same as the LN40A550 but without the USB which lets you view images from a USB drive on your TV, and it's a great TV. I highly recommend it

7. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Samsung 5 series. Minimum of 40". Trust me, you don't want a plasma, much less a Vizio plasma...they're stopping production of the Vizio plasmas for a reason.

8. MBPchef macrumors member

I have the 37". I got it at Costco as well. This is my second Vizio and cant really complain about it. I thoroughly enjoy it. Great picture. great price. Plasma is dying. Go with the LCD.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Plasma is still your best picture, but if you want 1080p get the lcd.

10. basaltfd macrumors regular

basaltfd

11. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Vizios Are great Tvs i have one for over a year now they are great i have yet to have a problem with it the picture is great once you get your settings setup playing a ps3 has been great ive been buying blu ray movies only mainly now that i got this tv. i got the 32" 1080i it says that but i actaully get 1080P quailty wich is a sweet add on and it was the cheapest that came with two HDMI's

12. macfan881 macrumors 68020

also if you want to be playing Games LCD is the best. Plasma is good but has a Higher risk of burn in issues with gaming

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

LCD for me!

As far as Vizio goes, their decent sets, pictures don't look quite as good as say a Sony similar size, but at home I doubt I'd notice(without another TV next to it to compare)

That said, I love my Sony!

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Please tell us how you achieve this?

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The size of 37, 42, and 50/52 are extremely noticable.
    1080i and 1080p are equally as noticable.

My recommendation is to go no smaller than 42 1080p.

you might be surprised at what $100 to $150 more will by you and the performance gains you would get.

Vizio, economy LG and insignia are all pretty much the same sets just rebagded.

16. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Well, thanks to the help from polls I made and various forums the decision has been made. I was really afraid of burn in and really thought about the games I play. Most of them have a constant hud and it would really suck to get that stuck!

I love the 37" Vizio, it is sooo nice! It looks great and has all the inputs I need. I have all my systems connected to it and it's working really well. The TV has a lot more settings for picture and sound than I thought it would. This is really good value.