Getting my first iPhone soon - need some advice

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jon08, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

So I've ordered an iPhone 4, should be arriving within a week or so (a factory unlocked one). It will be my first iPhone ever, so I'm really excited about it.

I'd like to know if there is any advice you would have for me? For example, is there such thing as a clean install on iPhone? On Mac I prefer to do a clean install after the purchase, rather than keeping what they pre-installed for me. What about on iPhone?

Thanks

2. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

They don't pre-install anything on there. Just the OS and the native apps other than that it is completely clean. Just hook it up to iTunes and away you go. Some good advice would be try not to drop it and you should be fine.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. himni macrumors regular

save your SHSH blobs with tinyumbrella even if you don't want to jailbreak. You may in the future and if you ever sell it you can get more for it since you have them saved.

5. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

What ever you do DO NOT come on here criticising it.

Some of the regs get there knickers in a twist if you dare to say that it is not all conquering.:D

6. b00ya, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

b00ya macrumors member

Hope you get a decent battery. My iPhone4 is complete s h i t.

My older iPhones can outlast my brand new iPhone 4 with ease. It seems to be a pretty common problem too. Very disappointing. I would return for a refund if I could. At this point I'm considering switching back to one of my older ones unless I can get this replaced.

The phone is beautiful though and it performs crazy fast compared to previous iPhones. But the horrible battery life and the broken keyboard problems are enough to make this phone suck unfortunately.

Pray for a good one! iPhones are amazing. I am really upset that mine is so bad. I was so looking forward to getting this... $700 later I have a brand new iPhone that is worse then my iPhone from 3 years ago. I still think mine is broken but the problem seems so common that its obviously not just mine. Maybe there was a bad batch? I dunno. It sucks though.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I really do hope the battery will be fine.

Btw, is it recommended to charge it for a certain amount of hours before using it for the first time?

Also, is it recommended to calibrate the battery once a month or so in the same manner as MB/MBP?

8. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816