Getting my first laptop, (and mac)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brokenlighter, Dec 28, 2007.

1. brokenlighter macrumors member

I will be buying my first laptop soon and I am considering the MBP.

I have only used a mac once, An old bubble looking iMac a few years ago. And I hated it.

But I have a few questions,

1. Can a MBP write to a NTFS drive?
    2. Can I later put a nicer HD in my MBP?
    3. What do you think of your MB or MBP?

Its either the MBP or the ThinkPad T61p for me.
    Right now I'm thinking MBP.

And as for the harddrive. What kind would I need.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160
    Would something like that work?

And for RAM would this work?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134373

2. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    1. yes, with software
    2. yes
    3. don't own one

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The deciding factor really should be the OS. Have you used OSX before?

4. brokenlighter thread starter macrumors member

No I haven't, But tomorrow I am going to the apple store and will try it out for a bit.

Ordering he MBP with the cheapest HD and RAM and then adding those after is ALOT cheaper. Is there a reason why its so much more expensive when ordering it with the MBP?

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Both are Great computers. i have the MBP my sister has the Think. Personally I think the MBP is Awesome in looks and performance. Dont base it off of that 'bubble' you used years ago. I promise you will love it if you get it.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Just your standard price gouging. Lenovo isn't nearly as bad, but they do it too--every company does. Buy cheap, upgrade yourself.

7. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

1. Can a MBP write to a NTFS drive?

Yes, it can

2. Can I later put a nicer HD in my MBP?

Yes, but you'll have to be fairly brave at pulling things apart and ready to identify/purchase torx screwdrivers etc, other than that it's fairly standard.

3. What do you think of your MB or MBP?

I don't have one, but I still have a 4 year old G4 Powerbook (the old IBM processor they switched from a few years ago) and it's STILL the bees knees and happily runs Leopard. You wouldn't often catch a 4 year old laptop running Vista ;) This 4 year old laptop runs Leopard *faster* than the 2-generations-past Panther OS that came with it. I love it, it's like my right hand (except when surfing pr0n, then it's my left)

8. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

if you are just getting a laptop for normal stuff get a macbook. if you love big screens and are doing video editing,ect... get a MBP.
    hope u end up with mac, you will love it;)

9. Tefret macrumors newbie

I have a MB, and its my first mac ever. First thing I did is bump it up to 4gb of ram... and that's mostly because I could not leave behind microsoft. I'm in Tech support, and I just will always need to use a Microsoft product of some kind, so, I bought VMware Fusion... So now, along side OSX, I have XP running most of the time, and I also have virtualized Vista whenever I may need to do some testing. Both boot up fast, and work seamlessly.. So I'm really really happpy with my first Mac buy... As I can learn osx, and also still have my MS compatibility.

And surprisingly, I installed my first game on my virtual copy of XP.. and it seems to play well.. (DX9 is experimental atm). Will have to try a newer game to see how it goes.