Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abond2014

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
apple store bathroom
hey fellow apple lovers,

I am getting an Apple Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 quad core I7 processor and what not but i am going to use it for gaming!

I know macs aren't the best on Gaming but i will be using bootcamp on the computer, I am new to bootcamp so i have a few questions about it for gaming.
When i run bootcamp (windows 7) can i play ANY PC game i want?? Also will I have to install virus protection for it, due to windows having a magnet for viruses. I dont plan to use the windows 7 for anything but gaming. I will use my apple side of the computer to surf the web. Also can i hook up my PS3 bluetooth controller and use that for gaming and maybe even a bluetooth headset. LMK many more questions may arise, so thanks for the help

-Austin

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I think if you're buying it with the intention of a lot of gaming, with really high settings, etc. you'll be disappointed. Yes, it will play games well, but there are computers that are a lot better for it for a lot less money. You can play any PC game you want in bootcamp, however, if you're set on that.

abond2014

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
apple store bathroom
I think if you're buying it with the intention of a lot of gaming, with really high settings, etc. you'll be disappointed. Yes, it will play games well, but there are computers that are a lot better for it for a lot less money. You can play any PC game you want in bootcamp, however, if you're set on that.

Its not going to be insane gaming just some gaming. Can i have the people at apple help me setup the windows for it

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Honestly, it will be cheaper, and work out better for you to buy a windows computer. But at the end of the day, it's what you want. Windows is pretty easy to install on mac.

abond2014

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
apple store bathroom
Honestly, it will be cheaper, and work out better for you to buy a windows computer. But at the end of the day, it's what you want. Windows is pretty easy to install on mac.

Well does it still run no problem and can i easily switch from mac to windows and will it get viruses???

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Well does it still run no problem and can i easily switch from mac to windows and will it get viruses???

I'm no expert, but I'll try to answer your questions.

You have to shut down the mac to switch to windows, or vice versa. You can use programs to easily switch from mac to windows while the computer is on. I'm not sure if that effects the gaming though.

As far as I know, if you run windows, you still get the normal viruses. The computer itself is built no different than any other computer, the only difference is the OS. So yes, as far as I know, windows can still get viruses on the mac.

hrafnaass

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Cork, Ireland.
If you NEVER EVER open a web browser or use e-mail in Win7 on your Mac, then you shouldn't need to worry about viruses.

But you WILL open a browser and go to the odd website to do something you need for X or Y game, as you'd otherwise have to reboot in OSX.

As you'd only be doing limited browsing in Windows, any free virus protection like Avast & AGV would be fine.

As for installing Windows, just open the Bootcamp app in Tools, partition the hard drive as desired, insert the Windows DVD, then press the "setup now" or "continue" or whatever the button was called. Then it restarts the machine, and the Windows install DVD starts up and you install Windows like you would on any other PC (choosing the Bootcamp partition to install on of course, and re-formatting it as NTFS).

After it's installed, insert your Mac OSX DvD to install needed Bootcamp software for using your specific mac hardware/keyboard etc. and choosing which OS is auto-booted when you start the machine. After the Bootcamp files are installed in Windows, you might want to open up the Bootcamp settings in control panel and change the startdisk to OSX, otherwise the machine will automatically load up Windows when you turn the machine on.

Once everything is installed, to manually choose which OS to boot up, hold down the Alt key when starting up (generally as soon as the screen goes grey is fine), and it shows you your booting options.

Hope this helps! :D

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Yes you can get Viruses on windows under bootcamp but I have used Bootcamp on my Mac's for about three years now and have never got any sort of virus whatsoever. Of course the only thing I use Windows for is gaming and the occasional google search. So as long as your smart and don't do shady stuff such as trying to pirate music you shouldn't have any problem with viruses. And Yes you can play any PC game under Bootcamp as long as your version of windows supports it. I find that I have a lot of issues with older games trying to get them to play on windows 7 such as the first NWN which I now play on OSX using wineskin.

The New MBP plays most games on High settings. I have the 2011 MBP 2.3 Ghz model with the 1gig Dedicated GPU. You can overclock the GPU if you want also.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1142028/

Installing bootcamp is a breeze. Under the Utilities folder all you do is launch Bootcamp Assistant and it should automatically set up a partition for windows on your hard drive. All you have to do is pop in a copy of windows and let it do its thing. just remember that once you install windows you have to install all the necessary drivers so that it will run right on your Mac. All the drivers are on the OSX install disc that came with the computer.

from there all you have to do is hold down the option key when you start the computer and it will give you the option of booting into Windows or OSX. Also in the system preferences you can choose which OS you want to boot in by default.

Sure you can get a better windows gaming laptop for cheaper but then you wouldn't have a MBP or OSX ;)

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Honestly, if you are really set on playing games via bootcamp, buy a Windows PC.

But, bootcamp runs Windows natively so there should be no issues as to what games you can play beyond the hardware limitations of the machine.

Also, because bootcamp runs Windows natively, the Windows partition is just as susceptible to malware as any Windows machine.

If you decide to buy a Windows PC, you can still dual boot the machine with Ubuntu to have one partition that is for browsing the web with more security.

This is a simplified set of instructions to dual boot Ubuntu:

1) GParted via live disk (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)
2) Install Windows in one partition
3) Install Ubuntu in other partition (http://www.ubuntu.com/)
4) Install bootloader utility such as EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Honestly, if you are really set on playing games via bootcamp, buy a Windows PC.

But, bootcamp runs Windows natively so there should be no issues as to what games you can play beyond the hardware limitations of the machine.

Also, because bootcamp runs Windows natively, the Windows partition is just as susceptible to malware as any Windows machine.

If you decide to buy a Windows PC, you can still dual boot the machine with Ubuntu to have one partition that is for browsing the web with more security.

This is a simplified set of instructions to dual boot Ubuntu:

1) GParted via live disk (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)
2) Install Windows in one partition
3) Install Ubuntu in other partition (http://www.ubuntu.com/)
4) Install bootloader utility such as EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

That's a bit overkill. Installing a whole OS just for safer browsing?

hey fellow apple lovers,

I am getting an Apple Macbook Pro 15" 2.2 quad core I7 processor and what not but i am going to use it for gaming!

I know macs aren't the best on Gaming but i will be using bootcamp on the computer, I am new to bootcamp so i have a few questions about it for gaming.
When i run bootcamp (windows 7) can i play ANY PC game i want?? Also will I have to install virus protection for it, due to windows having a magnet for viruses. I dont plan to use the windows 7 for anything but gaming. I will use my apple side of the computer to surf the web. Also can i hook up my PS3 bluetooth controller and use that for gaming and maybe even a bluetooth headset. LMK many more questions may arise, so thanks for the help

-Austin

Yup, bootcamp is just a way of getting Windows onto a Mac. Once you're in Windows then there are no limits in terms of what you can and can't play - it's just Windows.

I bought the top end iMac for media+bits of work in OSX and gaming+more work in Windows 7. It's a viable path to go down (and quite powerful too, my system is running all the games I play at max settings at 2560x1440 at 60fps!).

Install AVG and forget about it. I've been dualbooting into Windows since 2006 and I could count the number of viruses, malware and problems on the hand of someone who had both arms removed. It's nowhere near as dangerous as what some people might have you believe - it just takes a bit of common sense in avoiding some sites, dodgy looking downloads. I'd be much more wary about making a mistake on my own and get caught in a phishing trap.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The only notebook I would consider gaming on would be the ASUS G74 Series. Apple's drivers for Windows are an exercise in masochism and only more so on their notebooks.

Buy a refurbished MacBook (Air )and spend the rest on a Windows tower. I would still rather wait for something that is not Core 2.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
That's a bit overkill. Installing a whole OS just for safer browsing?

The OP is the one that wants to dual boot.

Just offering him an alternative in the event that the MBP is out of reach price wise.

I believe his sig suggested something about price being an obstacle.

It is always good to get familiar with Linux for various reasons.

ndonnine

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
California
I've loaded Windows 7 through bootcamp. it works excellently. Actually it loads quicker on my MBP (exact same you're looking at) than it did on my ASUS for gaming. I've run TF2 and Left 4 Dead 2 on the Mac side and they are flawless at max settings.

I only want to play Guildwars 2 and diablo 3 on the windows side, but with my assumption of the way it runs now it'll be great.

Any more questions send me a PM.

When you have windows installed through bootcamp, there sits an icon in your disk tray and you just click "restart in mac, one windows" or If on snow leopard go into the Disk utility click on bootcamp and restart in windows. I downloaded a program that everyt ime i restart my computer it lets me choose which OS to load into.

ndonnine

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
California
If you do get an Windows based laptop, get the G74 as some one said. It's about 800$ less and runs video games better. So good luck choosing.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Just be prepared to not get the greatest battery life from the ASUS G74 or any other gaming orientated laptop. Those machines are meant as desktop replacements for gamers that also need something portable. Don't leave home without your power cord!

Here is a list of utilities that you may want to install in Windows regardless of the machine that you choose to buy.

Microsoft Security Essentials for anti-virus/anti-spyware (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/security_essentials/default.aspx)

CCleaner for registry maintenance (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard)

--CCleaner does not fix corrupted registry entries. It only deletes unused registry entries. To fix corrupted registry entries, delete the problematic application and then run CCleaner to remove the corrupted registry entries. I find this method works better than registry repair tools because sometimes those tools cause as much problems as they solve.

XArp for detecting mitm attacks (http://www.chrismc.de/development/xarp/index.html)

KeePass for password management (http://keepass.info/index.html)

CCCP for better codec support (http://cccp-project.net/)

PeaZip as an open source alternative to WinRAR (http://peazip.org/)

ImgBurn as a burning utility (http://www.imgburn.com/)

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Sorry, but it is very stupid to buy a mac solely for gaming. So stupid i actually spewed milk out of my nose. :D

But seriously, Dont buy a mac for gaming. Get an asus gaming laptop if you want to play games. Will be cheaper and faster.

ndonnine

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
California
Honestly, if you want a mac get a mac.... You'll be happy that you can pretty much play EVERY game out there... but your game visual settings wont be at HIGH.

saikyan

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
For the price of a 17" Macbook Pro, you could get a 13" Macbook Pro AND a desktop PC with a video card that will blow away anything available in any Mac.

Buying a Mac for the purpose of playing games is just a really terrible value proposition. Mac's are good at a lot of things, but Apple still skimps on the necessary equipment for strong game performance. The 6750M on the 17" Macbook will put out performance on par with a lower midrange card in a (prebuilt) desktop PC worth 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

Besides, what's the point of spending $2500+ on a Macbook when you're going to spend most of your time in Windows?

All that said, if you're still dead set on this, the best way to avoid viruses/malware in Windows is actually by using aggressive adblocking software, such as Adblock Plus in Firefox. Microsoft Security Essentials should be installed too, in the event something gets past the adblock.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't get the Apple fanaticism sometimes. You are willing to pay an almost 1000 dollar price difference for an inferior gaming product?:confused:

Sorry, but it is very stupid to buy a mac solely for gaming. So stupid i actually spewed milk out of my nose. :D

But seriously, Dont buy a mac for gaming. Get an asus gaming laptop if you want to play games. Will be cheaper and faster.
What I absolutely love about gaming on my iMac compared to my home-built gaming rig PC is how quiet the iMac is, how nice the display is, how fast it is at booting up, how easy it is to do anything with it, how little space it takes up.
Great machine for working and playing on.

Honestly, if you want a mac get a mac.... You'll be happy that you can pretty much play EVERY game out there... but your game visual settings wont be at HIGH.
Depends on the Mac. On my iMac (the best 27" money can buy) I'm running all the games I own on Steam at max settings, max res, max FPS (60) just fine thank you! Crysis takes a hit. I need to play that with settings on high (not ultra) to get 60fps on that.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Luckily, it is not for "insane" gaming.

Your nose spewed milk for no good reason.

Insane or casual, people dont buy macs just for gaming. Dont tell anyone that you werent warned and come back finding out it was a big mistake. MBPs gpu is weak. :rolleyes:

Seriously, with 2500$$ You could build a desktop that is literally 10x faster in games alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.