Getting my first Mac laptop. NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheCRZA, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TheCRZA macrumors newbie

Hello all!

A little intro. I'm 25. I'm still on my first PC, believe it or not. An old Dell. Pentium 3, 863MHz, 20GB hard drive, 384 MB or RAM....Seriously. And it's become very slow, and has some debilitating spyware and such. It's certainly time to move on.

I've worked with Macs and have always loved them. I want a Mac laptop, and I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who can help.

Here's the criteria: I won't be using my computer for work. I won't be playing any games on it (I have a PS3 for that). I'll mainly be using it for hobby. Internet, email, iLife, iWork, Photoshop, Illustrator. I will be using Final Cut Express a lot (I make a lot of little video/dvd projects for fun and such). And other little things here and there. But those are the main things I want the Mac for.

Which one do you think I should get? I don't need to go overboard, but I also want it to be able to do all that I need. Will the regular MacBook be fine?

Also, I know that the buyer's guide says not to buy any MacBooks right now because of upcoming updates. But do you think that the upgrades would matter for my needs? I definitely can't wait too long, as my PC is getting slower and more inoperable by the minute. Also, I can't afford to get a new computer every couple of years, but I don't know if that would factor into the decision or not.

Do you think that the screen on the soon to be updated regular MacBook will be as good as the screen on the current Pro's? Those screens look great from any angle.

Sorry for the long email. This is a big decision for me.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
    -c

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The macbook will do everything you want, but you might want to consider the pro for the extra screen size when editing video. That's really a personal preference, and you also might consider an external monitor instead.

3. andrewag macrumors 6502

Tough choice! I would go for the Pro if you can afford it - especially because you expect it to work as long as your current computer (wow btw!!!). I have a MacBook (first version, core duo 2GHz with 1GB RAM) which does casual stuff (and converting video to h264 - PowerMac is slow at it) without problems but I've never actually used it to do any real creative work.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i would get anything but the macbook 2.1ghz because it doesnt have a superdrive (capabilities to burn DVDs) or a Macbook Air, because you need an external dvd drive for that. so anything will do just dont get the cheapest macbook or the air.

5. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

id say go for the middle configuration macbook. if you get an external monitor, it should suit your video editing needs. it has enough power for your hobbies and such, is easily portable, and will save you some cash. i just got my macbook and i do alot of photoshop/gimp / illustrator work. all three apps run fine. the reason im not suggesting the pro would be that you arent doing intense work. it will do all that you need, and really be a step up from your old pc :]

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Please, do yourself a favor and don't get an Air. The regular MB is fine for you, but MBP is a much better all-around machine.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you should get yourself a refurbished 2.2GHz MBP.

It costs the same as a top end MacBook, but it's got a nice LED display and it's a MBP.

8. TheCRZA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all the VERY quick responses everybody.

I was already sort of leaning towards the regular MacBook, so I guess I'm leaning even more towards it now.

I definitely can't afford getting a monitor for it. Do you think the screen will get any better with the upcoming update? I'd probably learn to live with the current screen, but I'm just curious. I'm just used to being able to see my screen from any angle. Oh well.

I'm not concerned with a trackpad update (even though it's pretty cool) because I'll be getting a wireless mighty mouse anyway.

I guess my biggest decision will be whether or not I should wait for the update. Anyone know when it might happen? Then I'd have to decide whether to get a new one or save $$$ on an older one.

what to do...what to do

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Their are loads of threads on the should i buy now or wait theme, you can use the link in my sig to search, never know the update might be today