Getting my first MacBook Pro, help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yols88, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Yols88 macrumors newbie

I'm considering getting a 13" MBP as a graduation present for myself. However, I'm still undecided on which one should I get: the one with 4GB/500GB or maybe paying a little more for the 8GB/750GB model. I would like to use for the basic stuff (web/office/etc) and maybe for a little photo editing. I want a computer that lasts about 6+ years (the Sony I'm using right now it's almost 6 years old, and it still works perfectly), so I wonder if the 8GB one will be better, although my computer with only 1GB/120GB still runs fine, so maybe the 4GB/500GB will last me a long time.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

2. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I'd almost recommend an MBA if you're not going to be doing anything too serious on it. You'll see a noticeable speed boost from the built-in SSD. You can even get an external HD if you need the storage. Not to mention a 13" MBA is lighter and has better screen quality than a 13" MBP.

The MBPs aren't amazing buys right now, unless you're really into self-mods/part replacement.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If money is an issue just get the cheaper one. The ram and HD are very very very simple and cheap upgrades. So if you pay for the higher end model your really paying for the faster CPU. The memory and ram are ~$75 worth of upgrades. Is the 400Mhz CPU worth $200 to you? Pretty much what it boils down to.

4. Yols88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering. I would get a MBA but it doesn't have an optical drive. I guess I'll get a Windows laptop instead if the MBP isn't worth it.

5. AlexBass macrumors regular

Get the base model for memory and storage, those can be cheaply upgraded by yourself, very easily too. Spend on the higher end processor, though, because you can't change that.

6. theBostonian Suspended

I agree with Slivortal, the MBA might be better suited to your needs, especially if you buy the "Ultimate" version, with the 256 SSD and increased RAM.

I have a 15" Pro but I've used friends and family's Air and the Air does feel faster because of the SSD.

With TRIM support (built into OS X) the SSD should last many years.

If the lack of a disk drive is causing you to hesitate, have a read of this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

7. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say the MBP isn't worth it, but for standard use you'll find your computer running a lot faster if you have an SSD (which are pretty expensive atm).

But if you find one on the cheap, you can always replace the MBP's hard drive. They're great computers, but just not amazing deals like I feel the MBAs and RMBPs are right now.

Also you can always pick up a SuperDrive for like $80 as well (or less, if you go third party).

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Are you really sure you have enough need for an optical drive that you need to carry it with you everywhere you go, at the cost of a heavier, slower, lower-resolution computer?

Because you can buy a USB optical drive for $30 for the 2-3 times a year you might need it.

9. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Yeah, for your usage, I'd almost get the Air instead. But that also depends on a few other issues. Like do you use the disc drive? If so, the Air is not for you. The Air is also not for you if you like to upgrade your system, or have a large media collection. The Air's selection for SSD capacity is not exactly what I'd call large. The Pro is also more likely to still be viable as a primary use machine 5 years from now. It'll run whatever OS is out in 5 years a lot smoother due to the better CPU and RAM. The SSD and screen are the Air's big pros, and I don't think those will matter as much in 5 years when it comes to meeting the resource requirements of whatever software you'll be using.

So yeah, between the 13" MBPs, I'd get the cheaper one, just because the cost difference isn't worth it. Only advantage is the slightly faster CPU. You can just upgrade it over time as you feel the need, and have the money to do so.

All valid points. Still think the MBP is the better choice over the Air if you plan on keeping it for 5 years or longer. And Macs are definitely good choices (if not the best choices) if you plan on keeping your laptop for more than the usual 3 years that most people seem to cycle on. My plastic MacBook from 2007 is still kicking. Durable as hell. I'm impressed that your Sony lasted 6. My old Vaio desktop from 2001 didn't even last half that long.

10. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

If you need it, you can get an external optical drive for like $30. I don't know why you'd need it though... I've used an optical drive maybe 2-3 times over the past several years. Even when I had a Windows "gaming laptop" in the Army, I still went with one that didn't have an internal ODD. Dead weight. :D

BUT, if you're really serious about 6+ years, the MBP is probably your best bet since it can easily be upgraded. You can add more RAM or a new hard drive later on down the line (or have someone else do it). It's really, really easy to upgrade those components.

Still, for a standard 2-3 year cycle the Air is definitely the better bargain due to the inclusion of an SSD.

11. Yols88 thread starter macrumors newbie

In my case, yes. I know I'm in the minority but I do still use CDs-DVDs a lot.

I could always upgrade the components. As I said, my old computer still runs fine after 6 years, I don't see why a MBP wouldn't.

Anyways I'll check out the MBA at Best Buy and then decide, but I still would prefer the MBP.

12. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Close the lids of both and pick them up, one in each hand. The Air is pretty tough to resist in that situation. ;)

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you want the built in optical drive, I would recommend the base 13" MBP. You can upgrade the memory to 8GB yourself if you notice that you're pushing up against the 4GB.

You might also want to budget an SSD upgrade. You can get a 256GB Samsung 830 for between $200 and $250 depending on sale prices. That would be a much more noticeable upgrade than the faster processor.

14. Charlaux macrumors member

You can always check Bestbuy and Newegg.Since the new macbook pro retina is the trend they were making discounts on them and It might be a great option to get it.On the other hand If I were you I would order it online and configure as much as I can so in that way you can actually choose a 2,3 ghz one and only change the ones that you care.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Being that you're using a 6 year old laptop still, processing power mustn't be of high importance to you. I would go for the base 13" and upgrade the RAM/HDD as appropriate for much cheaper (or even an SSD). Just make sure you're happy with the computer first - check them out at a store.