Getting my FIRST MBP today! Upgrade OS or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SammyLeopold, Sep 1, 2011.

1. SammyLeopold macrumors newbie

Hello All…I am a BRAND NEW MBP user. In fact my new laptop arrives today, and it will be my first experience out of the “Windows World”. My new system apparently ships with Snow Leopard, but I will be allowed to upgrade to Lion for free. My question is, should I do it? I figure since I won’t know any better, I might as well. even if it is different from Snow Leopard, it is bound to be better than Windows Vista, which is where I came from. I have just read some MBP users are unhappy with its performance. But being a new user, will I notice it? Or will it just be so much better than Windows I will be blissfully ignorant? I am just using this MBP for home\basic use and was just tired of Windows sluggish performance ,constant background processes, freeze ups, and security issues\maintenance. Thank you for your input!

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

First of all: WELCOME!

I would recommend getting the upgrade to the new software. For nothing else, it prevents you from getting used to Snow Leopard then having to upgrade later and then get used to Lion.

Since you're a new Mac user, you won't have any older applications or other potentially strange compatibility issues with Lion, so there's no reason not to start right off with it.

Depending on what tasks you're doing with the computer, you will either enjoy being a Mac user or be completely enamored. I personally moved to Mac because of difficulties getting video editing to work properly on Windows, so I'm part of the enamored crowd. If you're doing tasks that can be done on a Windows machine too, you'll be part of the enjoy crowd.

I would recommend talking with other Mac users about day-to-day operations if you're not familiar with things like the "uninstallation" of applications, lack of anti-virus software, non-necessity to run defrag, etc... or you can just ask us!

For the most part, your Mac will work like an appliance. Use it, do what you need to, put it to sleep, wake it when you need to do the next thing. There's very little in necessary maintenance on a Mac, and it's something that hardcore Windows users find unnerving. "It just works."