Getting my first MBP tomorrow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1Sail0r, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 1Sail0r macrumors member

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this Mac thing as I've never personally owned one before..but I've used them quite a bit in college (who knew so many students would have mac's hah) and I decided to pick one up for myself later this week. I just had a few general questions:

1) When you first get the Mac, are you supposed to charge it before you turn it on?
    2) Is it ok to leave it plugged in almost ALL the time? It'll be on my desk for the majority of the day so just wondering if that would be bad for my battery. And is it cool to keep it plugged in even when it's sleeping/off?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

1. Theres no set rule, but I always have
    2. In short, the computer should not be plugged in all of the time. This should answer most if not all of your battery questions, compliments of GGJstudios. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

1.). Yup. Open the box, take it out, power it up, enjoy!

2.). No biggie. What I do though is, when I power down for the night, and I know it's fully charged I just take the MagSafe connector off the MacBook. Just to be safe.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Sweet, I get to post this this time!

See the Apple Battery FAQ, courtesy of GGJStudios.

1) You should Calibrate it soon after receiving it.

2) Yes it's okay and actually recommended, except for letting it drain below 50% about once a month.

5. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

The "expert" advice here on MR always cracks me up. :D

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Who said anything about being an expert? All im doing it reiterating what Apple suggests on their own website. Having a rough day?

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Thanks for the compliment! I always viewed myself as an informed consumer, not a trained expert.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Actually I think it was the irony that both of you said exactly the exact opposite.

9. 1Sail0r thread starter macrumors member

Hmm so I understand the whole conditioning thing and how I should do it at least once every two months..but still confused on the leaving it plugged in issue. Both of you guys think different things lol, not sure which to go with.

10. 1Sail0r thread starter macrumors member

Also, do you guys fully power down your notebooks every night or do you just leave it on constant sleep? (i know many people who do the latter)

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I never power down and only restart when it is required (software update, etc). I know many don't recommend this, but I have done this for years without any ill effects. My wife does the same thing. With Windows computers I always powered down as the battery would die if I didn't so it would power down either way.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Only shutdown when i'm forced to because of updates.

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

1. Heh I couldn't wait to use it so I just used it while it charged. But since it was new I couldn't do much yet so I let it charge. So 50/50! I advise you fully charge it if you can resist temptation.

14. tcador macrumors regular

To echo what others have said, there is no reason to shutdown every night. Just let it sleep.

15. 1Sail0r thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the help guys. So if I have leave the laptop on sleep all night, should it be plugged in as well?

Sorry for all the questions! First time Mac owners here :D

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I leave mine plugged in all night.

17. tcador macrumors regular

Same here. Unplugging every night isn't necessary in my opinion.