Getting my head around Apple Music

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Pyrotechnic, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I currently have an iMac, iPhone and Macbook Air which I use regularly. I have also just completed fresh installs of El Capitan on both machines and to make things nice and easy I also reset my iPhone so that was a fresh install also.

Before I drag back my 150 albums into iTunes I thought I would try and get my head around the apple music.

Both my wife and son have iPhones and all have access to another iMac. We have family sharing enabled on all the accounts with myself as the administrator.

Given that the family plan of Apple Music is 14.99, this may be a cheaper option for us as a family, especially as my son wants all the latest albums etc and the wife can go through a few also.

So my question is, would it be far better for me to just archive my current music collection and file away on an old drive and start a complete fresh with Apple Music, only adding to my music the albums I want and the rest of the family can do the same. I see a lot of people with issues of merging etc and feel that if this is the way forward then I may as well just add the albums I already had onto my music.

Hope I am understanding this right. Any advice would be very useful. TIA

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yes, Yes, Yes. I did exactly that. Started a new music library using iTunes, subscribed (family) to AM, then added what albums I had archived FROM the Apple library. For those not found, I added them individually and they were sync'd to my iPhone.

Each AppleID under the family plan will have their own individual AM library.

3. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Just what I hoped. Thanks for clarifying it. Looks like this method will make life a whole lot easier. Thank you :)