Getting my iPhone 5C repaired today (screen), is my data toast?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkus, Oct 17, 2017.

1. darkus macrumors regular

Ive dropped my iPhone 5C more times then I can count. The screen actually pops out of the plastic shell regularly, but the phone has been a champ never failing.

But yesterday was it. Finally the screen will not light up. Cant see anything.

Out of fear of losing my data, I quickly plugged the phone in and despite not being able to see the screen or use the screen, iTunes does recognize the phone and I was able to get my photos/videos off the phone.

However whenever I try to do an actual Backup, the backup simply sits there on Step 2, not moving forward, even after being plugged in for 24 hours now.

So although I was able to get my pohotos/videos off the phone, I can't get my text messages off the phone without a full backup it seems.

I'm hoping its just an issue of a wire disconnected or broken and that the phone itself is just fine. Going to ask Apple to replace the screen today.

My Question
    Does anyone with a 5C know from experience, will apple do a factory reset and wipe my data by default with a screen repair?

If apple is going to 100% wipe my data with this type of repair, should I take my chances with one of these mall kiosk screen repair ppl and hope they don't touch my data?

Thanks!

2. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

My dad had his 6s plus screen replaced by  and he didn’t lose any data. But you should still back everything up just in case.

3. profets macrumors 601

I've brought many phones for screen replacements over the past several years (not usually mine), and while they always recommend to have a backup done in case they need to replace the phone instead of just the screen, they've never had to resort to that and have never reset or wipe the device.

4. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

I've had two screens replaced at an Apple Store and I've never lost anything either. Good luck, hoping for the best!