getting my mac to work with a tv, need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by naton566, Sep 1, 2012.

1. naton566 macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I have a macbook pro early 2011 and i'm trying to connect it to a toshiba 42" P33w.

i'm trying to get to work and am having some trouble trying to find the right components to work with the tv.

the tv has S-video, normal colored wires (red, white, yellow) and also (red, green and blue).

if you guys can help me set this up with sound and picture it would much be appreciated.

thanks in advanced i will check back later for responses.

2. Comet5o4 macrumors member

Are there any other inputs to the TV?

I don't think they make a Mini Display to Component(red/blue/green) adapter, which means you'll have to buy a Mini Display to DVI and then a DVI to Component. You could get a Mini Disp to S Video, but that's probably going to look fuzzy; S Video only carries 500 lines of resolution. And that will only run video, you would need to get a cable that converts a 1/8" headphone jack to Composite (red/white). It's a lot of stuff, but would work...

If you had other types of inputs, it would be easier. I have an Apple TV hooked up to my flat screen and can run it wirelessly through that. All depends on your inputs though...

3. naton566, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

naton566 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply.

no just the colored inputs unfortunately and scart.

i tried thunderbolt to HDMI, then HDMI to RGB, but i found out after trying that HDMI won't work because something to do with signals :S

edit: forgot to mention there is no hdmi input for the tv