Getting my music back!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrkjd, Dec 12, 2016.

1. mrkjd macrumors newbie

I recently cancelled my subscription to Apple Music and have just noticed that most of my music collection I had before subscribing has also vanished from my iMac iTunes and mobile devices! I read online some posts about unchecking iCloud Music library boxes etc but I can't see that option. I have Time Machine backups dating back to before the subscription ended and I can see a folder named "Music Archive" under "Music" in Finder on the iMac which seems to contain the old music files.

How do I restore to my old library on my iMac and how do I get that music back on my iPhone and iPad? I left Music because finances are tight but discovering this sort of consequence / behaviour from Apple makes me kind of glad I have left! Surely if they dick around with a subscriber's music collection the least they can do whilst stripping out everything you got whilst under subscription is to also restore to the old library/archive.

2. mrkjd thread starter macrumors newbie

3. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Do you need help restoring the Time Machine backup of the music? Or want to know why the files disappeared upon ending your subscription?

I can only help with the first one though since I have never used Apple Music.

4. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

Use Time Machine to restore the iTunes folder to before you joined. Then connect your iPhone and iPad to the computer to sync the music from the (now restored) iTunes Library.

5. mrkjd thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to know if it's best to recover by doing some messing around in Finder creating new libraries from those archive files and getting iiTunes to see it, or restore from a TM backup. And a guide of how to do whichever is the best option.

6. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

I would say just delete the current iTunes folder in ~/Music and replace it with the one in Time Machine. It should work without any extra steps. (The only other step, which I don't think is needed, is to hold option while opening iTunes and selecting the library in ~/Music/iTunes)

7. mrkjd thread starter macrumors newbie