Getting my music on the new ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kat.hayes, Nov 9, 2015.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

What are my options for getting my music to play through my new ATV?

Can I somehow stream in from my iMac? Is there a way to do it so I don't have to keep my iMac turned on all the time?

Thanks.

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Home Sharing will stream from your iMac. iTunes Match will stream from the Cloud.

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

What restrictions are there with me uploading my music to iTunes Match? Does it play back smoothly?

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I've been using iTunes match since it was introduced years ago and also with my ATV, no problems whatsoever. If you have iTunes Match you will also have your complete iTunes library available to you on your IOS devices. For example if you have a large library that will not fit on an iPhone or iPad then with iTunes Match it will download the songs on command.

In addition if you also store your movie collection on your Mac you can stream video from your Mac to the AppleTV, personally I have about 650 movies that I have collected and saved in iTunes and can call them up on my ATV anytime. Again, I have been doing that for several years with no problems.

6. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is streaming movies this way different from using the Plex app to do it? From what I read, some people were real excited by the Plex app because it will allow them to stream any content they want from their Macs to their AppleTVs.

Thanks.

7. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Lots of people are having problems with getting Home Sharing to work via ATV4. I'm so disappointed by all of the bugs that I am going to just forget about Home Sharing/ATV4 all together for my music and just use something more straight forward like Dayton Audios Wi-Fly. It works like Sonos, only a lot more money stays in your wallet. The only downside is that it doesn't have a toslink input/output. Was going to use a Airport express but it doesn't support have the features that Wi-Fly does.

8. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I've seen lots of problems reported here on Macrumors, but I'm having no issues with Home Sharing at all. Working fine on my ATV3 as well as my new ATV4. Wish I knew the answer.