Getting my new rMBP 15" tomorrow .. boot camp question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeale, Oct 27, 2013.

1. zeale macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm upgrading tomorrow from a macbook air to the new macbook pro 15" 16gb 512mb model. I'd like to run some Windows-only games on it to play with my friends (mainly the new Final Fantasy), but the last time I tried to set up Boot Camp on the air I was lost. I got it installed on a new partition but nothing worked in it once it was installed driver-wise. Is there an easier way or did I miss a step? Are there other/better options for Windows games? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. nathairtras macrumors member

Which one would that be? There appears to be some interest in getting FFXIV running on OS X, see here:
    http://lodestoneradio.com/

I know nothing about these efforts, or the game itself, just searched Google.

If that is the game you are interested in, and it is the only game you have in mind at the moment, that may be the easiest way rather than dealing with Windows, bootcamp or otherwise.

3. zeale thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that might work actually! I remember hearing about that project a little while back but it required a discrete GPU which my Air didn't have, but my new Macbook will. I'll download that tonight and give it a shot. Thanks for pointing that out!

4. nathairtras macrumors member

Also, don't forget Steam or even the Mac App Store, you can check for native games in either of those. You may find enough to keep you happy without ever having to use Bootcamp or Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox.

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Did you download and install the Bootcamp drivers for your Mac last time?