Getting my old MacBook from 2007 onto my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edcoche, Oct 1, 2014.

1. edcoche, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

Hello everyone.

So my old Blackbook 2.2 is finally on the way out due to some hardware failure. It still works but its a ticking time bomb. I was lucky to score an led MacBook Pro off groupon for a very good price. It's the 2.5 ghz i5 that is being phased out. My question is, am I able to load my old Mac into my new mac? I understand some of the applications might not work on the new OS but basically my goal here is to get everything on my new MB from my old one. Kind of like how when I went from an iPhone 4 to a 5s everything automatically loaded into my new phone like settings, messages, pics, etc. Will I be able to connect the 2 computers together and have my old one load into the new one. Old mac is running 10.6 so obviously I don't want to load an old OS on my new computer but I want the music, docs, settings, background image, etc to carry over.

Thanks for any help on my project!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Get an external hard drive and use Time Machine to backup your old computer.

Once that is done, and you receive your new computer, simply plug that external hard drive in there during the initial setup, and import docs, apps and settings using the time machine backup. It's quite easy to do.

Alternatively your old MacBook may support Target Disk Mode and you may be able to copy things over manually.

3. edcoche thread starter macrumors regular

edcoche

Great! I backed up time machine last night so I'll give it a try when I get home from work! I was concerned that connecting it to time machine would put 10.6 on the new machine.

Thanks!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

No it won't. Your new machine can't even run it anyway so that wouldn't be a good thing.

Time Machine does not make a clone like some other backup solutions. It keeps documents, files, settings and whatnot, but not the OS itself.