Getting my Unibody Macbook screen replaced....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nyry30, Jun 26, 2009.

1. nyry30 macrumors newbie

I'm taking in my Macbook screen to get replaced because it's washed out etc...I know this might sound like a couple of dumb questions but, should I back up my data ( I don't use time machine) and should i downgrade my ram back to 2GB (I put in 4GB myself)

thanks,

2. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

Screen Replacement preparation.

What model of MacBook do you have?

Is it the white or black model, or the new unibody model?

Looks like black based on your computer info!

3. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

backup and RAM

It is always a good idea to have your info backed up no-matter what. HD's fail and data gets lost and then it can be $1000's to get it back if you get it back at all. It is much cheaper to buy a external HD to backup every month or so with free software such as superduper!

That being said... The replacement process for the black and white MacBooks does not have the tech open the machine. It is a fairly simple process of removing the screen bezel and unscrewing the LCD and screwing in the new one. So there is almost a 0% chance of something happening to the HD directly related to the LCD replacement (unless the tech drops the computer).

The same goes for the RAM. If you are worried about the tech stealing it, take it out. Otherwise they don't open the computer to replace the LCD.

One last comment... pricing for screen replacement can be ridiculous. If you are paying more than $200 for the service, do it yourself. I offer the service here in LA, CA for $160, and still make a profit... If you are getting it done under warranty... that is the best price!

4. nyry30 thread starter macrumors newbie

oops sorry, I was posting this as I was on the phone with applecare :eek: , I forgot to mention which macbook, actually it's my unibody macbook which I am having the screen replaced, I've had it since february but I really haven't had the time to get it fixed with the apple store genius bar being always booked, I finally have a week off from work and I figured to get this over with finally

thanks for any feedback
    cheers:apple:

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Demand for them to put the latest screen on there and see what they say. And by the way, which model screen u have currently?

6. nyry30 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 9C8B, this is actually my first ever repair for a macbook, do you guys know what the usual turnaround time is for a screen replacement? I don't really like to be without my main macbook for too long, but if I can finally take care of a nagging problem, I might as well take the opportunity while I have the time.

7. joe01 macrumors member

joe01

How long does it take apple to replace your screen? I thought asked since i`m haven issues with my screen? ... doees appalecare cover hareware releated isssue

8. joe01 macrumors member

joe01

How long did it take apple to replace your screen? I thought asked since i`m haven issues with my screen? ... doees appalecare cover hareware related issues

Attached Files:

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I sent a Dell off once to work on the keyboard. The drive came back factory reformatted. :D

You never know what knucklehead is going to work on your machine. Kind of like those surgeons that remove your testicles instead of an appendix.

Back 'er up!

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What else would you need it for?