Getting new Imac, a few minor questions.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by claimed4all, Jun 1, 2011.

1. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Looking to upgrade. I currently have the early 2008 Macbook. Wife just won an ipad2 so that negates owning a laptop for us. We are casual users, only reason we had a laptop is so we could surf the web while on the couch.

So I am going to pick the basic 21.5" imac on Tuesday, June 7th, hopefully it will come with an ipod that I can peddle.

1. If I buy it directly at an Apple Store, can I get the touchpad and the wired keyboard with 10-key, or must I do a BTO online?

2. Is the magic mouse that great? I currently have an old logitech 2 button bluetooth mouse that is 7 years old, but it still works like a champ, so I was thinking about going with the touchpad. Good or Bad idea?

3. Does the 21.5" entry model have the extra hard drive slot?

If so
    How hard is it to get to?
    Can I use any hard drive? I am hearing alot about the new imacs only using certain drives without fan issues.

Thanks.

2. Spike88, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

My iMac has the "wired" larger size Apple keyboard. My wife does lots of numbers and wanted a separate keyboard area for her many number tasks. Glad we got the larger size keyboard (wired keyboard on desktop is ok with us).

For large size keyboard "inclusion" details, a simple phone call to your target apple store will confirm. Some sell the larger size keyboard and some stores provide the larger size keyboard (instead of wireless keyboard) for free. It depends on how the store seller feels.

Our iMac also has the Track Pad. We used it a few times. But if someone miss-placed this wireless device, I wouldn't miss it. For a desktop machine, we don't use it that often. Next time around, we wouldn't buy the track Pad device. Currently, the Track Pad in under my screen - doing nothing.

A generic "wired" USB mouse will work on the iMac as well. Simply plug it into the USB port and it automatically installs the needed drivers. If wondering, my wireless mouse lost its connection and I connected a USB mouse - to save my Pages document. The wired USB mouse worked great. For me, I can use the Apple wireless (Magic) mouse or a normal USB wired mouse - even a general USB mouse. Both work fine for me.

Not too sure about the new 2011 iMac 21.5" internal HD slots. re: "1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive" configuration. I do have an external HDD on my iMac and it works great. Great for automatic Time Machine backups. A few times, I connected an external "portable" HD to its USB port. This worked good as well. But for fast data transfer speed, connecting to FW800 port its best.

Knowing what I know today (and if dollars wasn't an issue), I'd get the High End 21.5" with both internal SDD drive (for OS and main Apps) and get internal drive for my data files. I would also get a 1 TB external drive for automatic Time Machine backups. For me, the 21.5" is a good size screen. 24ish" size would be perfect. Personally, I find the larger 27" too large. Especially for a desk top area. I would get 4 Megs ram and if needed (based on Activity Monitor - Memory usage numbers), I'd order more RAM at OWC (which is much less expensive).

Hope this helps in your research.

3. claimed4all, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

Thinks for the info on the track pad, still on th fence, but the more I think about the magic mouse looks like a solid piece of hardware. I am still not ready for SSD, cost is the hold back. If the entry level unit has the space for an additional harddrive I would like to stick a 3tb in there just for storage and what not. I'll call the local apple store on the 10 key situation.

I called and they said they can swap those out in store.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

The iMac is not designed to be user upgradeable except for ram.

If you want an extra 3TB you will have to buy an external unit.

Although there is a space for a SSD, those are 2.5" in size. 3TB drives are 3.5", physically impossible to fit one in.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I love my Magic Mouse, I highly recommend it, especially since it's included with the iMac anyway.

6. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I wanted to know. Wasn't sure on the size factor, Thanks. I guess I could always wait for some thunderbolt drives to hit the market.

7. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Yes. The Magic mouse is a solid design / materials. However... It doesn't fit my larger size hand very comfortable. My teenage kids (with their smaller size hands) love this wireless mouse. Especially its NO moving parts design and the ability to drag one's finger tip across its top surface - instead of moving the mouse base. For my larger size hands, I'd prefer a larger size mouse. For computer controls (keyboard, mouse, etc.) its isn't always about construction strength. It's really about fitting to one's body most comfortable. re: finger size, palm size or item's tilt. Probably explains why I hate new cell phone and their extreme smaller size buttons. But, that's a topic for a different threat.

As a suggestion, visit many Best Buy / Future shop stores and take many on-display mice for a test run. Feel the way your hand wraps around the mouse. If it feels good to you, then get it. I remember viewing an iMac review on u-Tube and and lady over her generic wired mouse much better then the included wireless mouse. She felt the general mouse more comfortable in her hand. Sometimes, a cheap $10 mouse "feels" better then more expensive - higher quality built mouse. Since iMac is a desktop design, they take most USB wired mice as well. Especially if the mouse package has the Apple logo on the side of the box. re: Picture showing buyers its proven to work with Apple H/W - like the mini line.

Hope this helps as well.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

What are you putting on that 3TB drive that you need blazing fast access to?

USB 2 is more than enough for 99% of anything -- and since you already stated you are a "casual" user you definately fall into that 99% crowd.

3TB drives are now $120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m1043X499650X19bcc9bdf26cfe6ac8ca0be58212f431

9. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

10. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Your mileage will vary depending on the Apple store. I have never had an issue choosing my pointing device and keyboard with iMacs (and have purchased several BTO and Stock at Apple retail). I prefer the wired keyboard and wired mouse - no battery and/or connectivity issues (though these issues are rare).

Some buyers have reported asking for the trackpad when purchasing the new iMac at retail Apple stores and receiving it as an exchange for the magic mouse or as an additional device without charge. Others said the store refused. If you nicely make it a condition for your purchase, the manager may agree to a swap or an equivalent discount so you get both. Ask.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

...:confused:

Am I the only one who noticed this?

Curious, OP - why would having an iPad negate owning a laptop? We have both in our house, they each do different things.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I got my first iMac about a year ago and just got a new base 21" a few days ago. The wife and kid get the old one. ;)

I love the magic mouse. Great design, great functionality with the ability to use the surface as a touch pad and use multi finger gestures. I would definitely recommend it.

The magic pad I just cannot get the hang of. I got one since I do have a 13" Air and thought the familiarity of using a pad on both devices would be preferable since the gestures are different on the mouse. Problem is I just can't get the hang of the pad and I always find myself reaching for the mouse.

Adding/changing a drive in a iMac is not something I would suggest you try. Order it with the drives you want or plan on going USB or (when released) get a Thunderbolt drive.

Which ever you choose enjoy your new iMac. I know I am! :p

13. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

The only reason we got the macbook was so we could couch surf, we can do that on the ipad now. I know its not the same, but it will work.

14. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

maybe you should consider the next model up with a 1TB drive.

I mean -- How much data do you *actually* have?

As a self proclaimed "casual user" could you even fill 500 gigs? or a TB?

you could consider a 1.5TB portable drive, about the size of a big deck of cards and no power plug, $110: http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-exp...d-drive-usb-2-0-5400/q/loc/101/219129050.html

Or if money is no object, a nice 2 bay portable drive -- again no power plug, just the cable to your mac and it would rest right on the foot: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/RAID/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

or even a stand and put the drive under it: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Macessity/SLIMKEYV2/