Getting new iMac question about App store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Jun 10, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

So I am finally going to be a mac owner hopefully if new iMacs are released but I got a question. I've owned the iPhone since the 1st gen and iPad as well and obviously know about the app store. I see while doing a little bit of reading up on macs, to my understanding there is a "Mac App store" as well?

Could somebody tell me how it works what's sold on there, is it similar to the App store on iPhones (magazines, news apps etc)? How about games is all gaming done by specifically purchasing them through this Mac app store? How is it as far as pricing?

:confused :

2. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

It's a way they came up with to keep people from raging when they announce new Macs without an optical drive (which saves Apple about a buck per computer). As usual it's all about the bottom line.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

While I won't say there are *no* magazines or news apps there, it's primarily the kind of apps you'd use on a computer - things like Aperture, Parallels, Photoshop, games, etc. So you'll see some things for a couple of bucks and some (few) costing hundreds. And many free apps as well.

But it's not a closed system (yet). You're still free to go to a store to buy software (including the Apple store) on disk, or download from a developer's own site.

In Mountain Lion, they'll have a feature to only allow software from the App store, to only allow signed software, or complete freedom to install what you want.

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

You might find this useful:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/app-store.html

5. paulbee macrumors member

I'm a bit confused about the motivation behind something Steam, then. What gaming PC company is giving Valve kickbacks for being able to drop the OSD?

Seriously, the ability to download any software you've paid for, forever, without having to find a place to store the discs or keep track of serial numbers? I think online software stores are the best thing ever to happen to software distribution.

6. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

They love digital because it kills the second hand market. You cannot resell a digital copy.