Getting New Mac Pro - Advice/Feedback

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by billakay, Feb 1, 2009.

1. billakay macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to this board, but a lurker for a while. Now I come to you looking for some advice.

I am getting a new mac pro tomorrow. My Dual 2.3 G5 (late-2005) had its power supply replaced about two months ago. It ran fine for a while, then when I returned home from Christmas visits it refused to power on (light flash). I got it to start once, and it quit again the next day. Well, to make a long story relatively short, after ordering a new logic board, CPU, and another power supply, the genius bar tech could not get it to POST. Since they have already had it close to three weeks, and another CPU would be at least seven days with no promise of success, they are offering me a brand new base model Mac Pro, on the house.

My question is, what should I upgrade or modify on the new machine right in the shop. My G5 was pretty heavily upgraded, including 8 GB of RAM, two 500 GB SATA drives in RAID 0, and an ATI Radeon X1900 (GT?) 256 MB video card.

I know the Mac Pro will be light years ahead of what I have, but the RAM will be a problem. I assume I am better off getting 8 GB from Crucial than paying Apple big money for it. How about the video card? Does anyone have experience with the GeForce 8800GT? Can the Mac Pro boot a RAID 0 volume like my G5 can, or I am better off keeping the 320 GB drive as the boot drive and putting mine in as a storage/encoding volume.

I am a Computer Science graduate student with years of experience playing with computer hardware. I use this machine for software development, number crunching, as well as recording TV and playing some games occasionally. I am mainly looking for feedback from people who have this machine, and have tried various modifications. I am able to spend a few hundred on this to make it the best it can be.

All in all I know I'm extremely lucky to be getting this offer, I just want to maximize my benefit right now!

Hope to hear some feedback.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*ahem* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Aha. Sell it. Seriously, sell it.

3. billakay thread starter macrumors newbie

I seriously considered this...if only it had waited a little longer to crap out, I could have gotten a Nehalem! LOL

It's just a perfect storm in my favor though, so I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth :)

4. joshchan macrumors newbie

Advice

As a caveat, let me say that I do not personally own a Mac Pro. However, my general advice would be to hold off from buying memory/hard drive/etc upgrades directly from Apple. As long as you do a check for compatibility online (through forums, reviews, etc...), you should be fine buying from places such as Crucial.

Josh

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Upgrade the Ran @ Crucial & Stuff a few 1TB drives in there.
    I think it will support raid0 with the pricey apple raid card.
    Unless you are doing heavy 3D or FCP stuff the Ati 256 card works fine.
    Lucky dude.