Getting new MBP but worried about updates

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seansonenight, Jul 20, 2008.

  1. seansonenight macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #1
    Now that the iPhone launch is pretty much cleared up, I am wondering when the MBP is going to be updated, I keep hearing Q3-Q4 2008 and to hold off, but I really am starting to need one at this point, I plan on just getting the $2499 15.4 inch glossy one, but now that the montevina platform has officially been released (last tuesday); I am wondering if it is a good idea to buy right now, because I am willing to hold a couple more weeks :apple: thanks in advance for any help
     
  2. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #2
    if you need one now get it, the update isnt going to make THAT much difference, just because they release new ones the ones you buy isnt going to suddenly become bad or anything
     
  3. seansonenight thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #3
    true, but if the new ones are redesigned (not just spec bumps), I would be a bit bummed, that is what I am trying to avoid.
     
  4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

    Neil321

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Britain, Avatar Created By Bartelby
    #5
    Two choices wait or buy now,simple ? NO one knows for sure about when the new ones will be released
     
  5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

    Minimoose 360

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    NY
    #6
    I'm waiting. I've got until August 22nd to wait...
     
  6. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #7
    what if the new update is hideous?
    :p
     
  7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

    r.j.s

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2007
    Location:
    Texas
    #8
    If you need it now, but it now. If you can wait, wait. The worst that happens is you buy now, they redesign, you sell and buy a new one at a little loss.
     
  8. seansonenight thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #9
    knowing apple the new updated ones will be gorgeous if they are redesigned, I'm just wondering if anyone has a general ballpark of when they may be updated, so i know if it is worth waiting.
     
  9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #10
    All I can say is that if you need it, buy it. Everybody thought that Penryn was going to be a pretty big leap forward (speed, heat, and battery wise) and it turns out there were very few advances. When they came out I just bought a 2.2GHz which is amazing. I think if Apple changes the design to the MacBook Air style, the MBP will be plain ugly. The design currently is unbelievable, its sleek and thin. Most companies can only dream about having a design like the MBP.
     
  10. seansonenight thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    #11
    that is true, I wouldn't have wanted the mbp if i didn't like the current design, we will have to see what happens in the coming weeks
     
  11. muldul macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Location:
    West Sussex, England, UK
    #12
    I'd buy it now, if updates come out soon after then what difference will it make, at least you can still do you work
     
  12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #13
    If you dont like the new design, you can pick up a new one of eBay for pretty cheap. The day of the Penryn release I went on eBay and bought a 2.2GHz for $1650 with free shipping and no tax. The refurbs were at $1699 and mine was new. Hopefully they dont change the design.
     
  13. Durious macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary, Alberta
    #14
    I just ordered mine on friday, waiting on updates really are defined on if you are patient or care. The biggest thing to note is it's doughtful a new design would take place as those are saved for there events in January \ June. Likely the next update in the next 1-3 months will be increases in processor \ gpu. And it won't be deal breaking.

    While your waiting I'll be getting plenty of time with my free iPod touch! :p
     
  14. Cadium macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    #15
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

    My policy is "if you need it now, buy it now," just because an update is around the corner doesn't mean that your computer is useless. There is always something better, or something for just a little bit more around the corner. The amount of time you spend waiting and how much money you spend is entirely up to you. Buy it, and enjoy it.
     
  15. nemein macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 31, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    If you don't like the new design, you can always go to the refurb store and buy the original design. I'm in the camp that really, really detest the MBA black keyboards (they look like cheap glued on plastic... reminds me of my Dell).

    So I'm waiting, since I'm in no hurry, but will likely opt for a good refurb deal if the new design is hideous... Although I'd personally stay away from the MBPs with the 128 mb Nvidia cards as I've heard they have issues.
     
  16. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #17
    Well if you like the Macbook Air design and since we are expecting something like that, I'd say you would like it.
     
  17. .Chris macrumors 6502a

    .Chris

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #18
    Since when has apple ever created anything hideous?

    after HP screwed me over my palvillion laptop i'm looking in to getting a new laptop. I'm waiting as apple is expected to have a new design soon. If I like what I see then i'll get it..

    I'd wait if I were you. If you dont need one right now, then wait. You could always rent a computer from rent a center or use as spare one in the house,,,,

    Again, just because they might be going to the air style doesnt mean it will be that thin. It may be 25% thinner,

    They will. They had the same design since like what? 2001? or 2003? Time for a total revamp. Times change kid, move on...

    That may be true, but we know apple will have a new design and they wont update the new design till at least macworld 2010 or macworld 2011
     
  18. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #19
    Nothing wrong with the current MacBook Pros. Now, if you were asking the same question about the Mac Mini, I'd say to wait - but there's nothing HUGE that could be improved in the Pro, specwise anyway.
     
  19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #20
    The GPU.
     
  20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #21
    They're not going to do some major redesign. The rumor pics of the new case basically look like the battery and HDD access will move, making it easier to swap out a HDD. This is all rumor, but that's about the "redesign" that you'll see. Aside from magnetic latches, there's nothing wrong with the MBP design.

    I would recommend waiting as long as you can. You're spending over $2000 on this, so have as much patience as possible. Considering they had a slight update earlier this year, it'll probably be at least October before anything major. However, I am just guessing.
     
  21. mscofield macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    #22
    Base on the fact you've made this thread, i'd say you should buy now.
    I understand having the latest version is cool, but differences won't be that huge. Not at all.
    Seems to me that you're having a hard time to wait, chances are big that you will be getting a bit disappointed when the new MBP arrives.
    Buy it and enjoy it, or else you'll keep on walking behind all the "the-new-one-will-even-greater" story.
    Remember that even the very old macbooks keeps worth a lot for a pretty long time. So don't think about the money you could "lose".
     
  22. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #23
    There are always going to be updates in the future no matter what you buy.

    What if they come out with quantum computers in 100 years? You probably should wait for that then.
     
  23. rjgonza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #24
    I would suggest you wait. Just wait untill Sept. if nothing new hits, then quickly grab your new mbp and free touch ;). Otherwise you can go out and spend a lot of money on 2nd string technology.
     
  24. trek1500 macrumors member

    trek1500

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    Location:
    Sugar Land, Texas
    #25
    Dude....just get it. I heard all those rumors too and I had been waiting for months..I couldn't wait any longer...

    I love mine! And it's powerful enough for all my needs!
     

Share This Page