Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
That being said...NO iPhone. They are nice but the money and it only works with ATT.

I need a T-Mobile phone. I really like the Samsung Trace or even the Nokia 6133, but I'd rather have a candybar phone.

What other phones are there that are good and you have had experience with?

Also NO Motorola's.

EDIT: Nothing more that $50

EDIT 2: I am buying a new plan! This is my first cell phone!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have the HTC Herald (unbranded version of the T-Mobile Wing) and it's an awesome phone.

Otherwise, I'd recommend buying an unlocked Sony Ericsson phone. IMO, SE phones are some of the best phones that money can buy. T-Mobile just doesn't sell any, but thanks to GSM, you can buy an unlocked one off eBay or something like that.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Not that I want to take over this thread, but rather than start a new one, I just was wondering about the LG 8600 Chocolate Flip?

Generally, how does the UI rank?

Thats a CMDA, so any info you get on it, is useless to the OP(T Mobile is GSM)

Maybe better to start a new thead :)

OP, personally I'd keep an eye out on the Neo 1973....Linux based phone...iPhone like in design. Palm will also have a place in my heart, and maybe the "Centro" will be worth buying, keep your eyes on that.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Thats a CMDA, so any info you get on it, is useless to the OP(T Mobile is GSM)

Maybe better to start a new thead :)

OP, personally I'd keep an eye out on the Neo 1973....Linux based phone...iPhone like in design. Palm will also have a place in my heart, and maybe the "Centro" will be worth buying, keep your eyes on that.

To expensive, so i made a thread edit.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Ummmm....wow. 50 bucks? You're severely limiting your options there. I'd recommend checking out T-Mobile's site and seeing what 50 bucks will get you with a contract renewal. You probably won't have much of a choice

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
wow 50 bucks, renewed plan..I high suggest other wise.

I high suggest spending more then 50...or saving more to spend on it later...is this most likely going to be your phone for two years(if your only planning on 50 with a plan, I can't see you buying an unlocked phone, sorry)

I took the cheap way out too, went in store, go the cheapest phone I could from verizon for 6 years(3 times). I switched to At&T, got a BlackJack(for free, but that was from a web site, offering deals for first time users of a new provider)..then an iPhone.

I can safely say, I'll never cut corners with cell phones again!

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I am buying a new plan! This is my first cell phone!
So aren't i getting like a big discount?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa

Not really a discount per say. You get a phone from them and then you sign up for 2 years. They make up the cost + more over the two year. What you can do (and I wished I had done this) is get a phone not from T-mobile but unlocked (getting it used on ebay is a good deal, see some sidekicks on there for 150). Then I believe you can get a plan, but not sign up for a contract. You can't do it via the web I don't think - but call or see a representative and they should be able to ship you a sim card and you pay month to month without a contract. Then if you decide to leave (go somewhere else) you won't have to pay the $200 cancelation fee.

I'm looking at the Neo1973 (openmoko.com) myself. Out in November for $450. Look for it. Right now I use a PEBL from Moto, and it is excellent. Integrates with OSX flawlessly. T-mobile doesn't carry them anymore, but they should be easy to find online unlocked. $130ish new

Of course this doesn't mean you're stuck paying +100 for a phone. I've seen many of the free phones T-mobile offers on ebay for $25 or so.

(psst, T-Mo 4evr)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

Oh...thats changes things!

There are websites that offer MUCH better deals then T-Mobile, AT&T etc offer on their online stores, or their brick stores.

I high suggest going to http://www.wirefly.com

And getting a nice smartphone, on the cheap! Its absolute great, AT&T even price matched me in the store(with a mail in rebate for 100)....I got a BlackJack free...almost got a Palm Treo 680 for free, but they force you to buy a big data plan, and with iPhone coming it wasn't worth it.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Whatever way you go, the Nokia 6126/6131/6133 (God, why can't they just use one model number?) is a spectacular phone. I have the 6126 as a business line on at&t, and I really like the design, the reception, and the UI is the best of dumbphones. The 6133 is basically the same phone, only minor design tweaks, and for T-Mobile. I'd definitely recommend it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.